HELP with TOWING pls!!

Magnus Moo

Nov 6, 2017
So I have access to a 2006 2L Petrol Honda CRV, what trailer/s would I be able to tow please? (Not me driving - Daddy kins whom is a class 1 HGV driver) My horse is a 16.2 630kg Irish Draft. Just trying to get rough ideas as to whether Dad would need to buy another car to enable towing capacity?! Thank you in advance.....

You’d need to check the max braked tow weight of the specific model car, then you knock off the trailer weight and see if you have enough left for the horse plus extras (hay, water, tack if it will be in the trailer), if your dad is a hgv driver he’ll know. There will be a silver plate on the car somewhere that will tell you or you can google it.

I had a 2l Honda CR-V but it was deisel. The max towing weight was 2 tonne. I had a 505 at the time which is 1 tonne. However that was too small and I got a 511. That weighs a small amount more. Horse was similar at about 650. So horse and trailer will be 1650/1700kg. Add a little for hay and water (although water went in the car) and yes technically you can do it. However I didn’t feel that happy towing with the crv. It was always fine with no issue but the steep hill back to the yard made me twitchy. I “think” petrol engines has less capacity. You would have to find the specific weight that car can tow. You can quite often find that out by googling “towing capacity of x car”.

I now tow with an xtrail which pulls 2.2 tonnes and I never worry about it. It’s also good as I can’t take 2 horses...

newrider.com