Help with my Plan of attack options....

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Ok, so I am going to get my ar*e into gear this spring and get my flippin confidence back! I am having a few lessons as I have not ridden at home due to the weather like some others on here. I have a few options with where to start and wondered if you would give me your opinions on the best one, or just or preference.

Option 1

Send Sam to get 1 weeks schooling, then take a week of work and go and get lessons on him every day for a week at the same place. So have him there for 2 weeks, having lessons and hacking out. Then take him home and get lessons weekly after that for a few months.

Pro's - Concentrated effort in the school and hacking out
Cons' - We would go to the RC, not staying at home, we get comfy in someone elses surroundings rather than 'real life' at home

Option 2

I get a good RI to come and school/ride/hack Sam in our own surroundings, every day for a week, then I take a week off and have hacks and lessons with RI for another week. Then lessons weekly to keep the momentum!

Pro's - We both school/hack in our own surroundings so when we are on own my confidence will be good.
I dont have to find a companion for Minnie while he is gone
Sam stays settled in his own home

Con's - we dont have a school but plenty of areas to hack and school in field

I have a preference but not at the expense of getting going again so will take on board everyones comments:wink:

I would go with the second option. If your field is okay for schooling then it will be fine. Would be less stressful for Sam so he can concentrate on the work and you won't have a period of readjustment that you would have if he went away and then came back.

I would also recommend lessons twice a week to keep up momentum for a while if you can manage it. I am a bit of a lesson junkie as I need the direction, I really struggle to stay focussed in the school on my own. I have 2 lessons a week, sometimes more if there is a clinic on that I can find. But it has really paid off with both mine and Izzy's confidence and riding.

I think I would go for option 2 too, as it involves less upheaval for Sam, and like you say it won't feel quite so scary once you're 'on your own' again.

Good luck!

Definitely the second option! I think that it might be a bit unsettling for you and your horse to go with the first one.
You'll get there - just take your time. OH and I have been doing something every day with our pair - even if it is just loose-schooling and groundwork. I think it all helps with the getting the mojo back!
I even managed to ride this morning (and the wind was getting up too!!!). I can't say that I'll be cantering around the school anytime soon, but we're getting there. For me personally, it has been a series of small things and gradual build-up.
I don't have proper lessons atm, for a few reasons, but I have found the more I've made a small goal and made myself reach it, that has worked. For example, I wanted to get to the stage where we could do a full 30 minutes brisk walk / trot in the school, without me feeling like I want to get off half way through (even if the farmer does turn up with his tractor!). I also wanted to get back to the stage where I didn't need to consult with the Runes before getting on board (I was getting awfully superstitious and silly about the weather / time of day / neighbours etc etc, you name, it I made excuses!!!lol).
Anyway, I think option two sounds good for you!

Thanks both, Sam is pretty good actually, does not get too unsettled as he is so laid back, I had on trial at the same place and he was like he had lived there all the time. He only needs a refresher as he is so good anyway, he gives me a lot of confidence, I just seem to not take it on board! I just to get onto my own case and get doing something, was so jealous yesterday seeing everyone doing the fun ride on the farm:redface:

You'll be back to being confident in no time at all! I think its the winter that puts everyone back a pace or two, unless lucky enough to have an indoor school.

Def option 2.

But I would not bombard him or you with an intense week. He might get funny and then not want to work, which might just get you riled. Not do much for confidence. Just have a couple of lessons one week, then once a week after that. I know if I had lessons for a week I would not take all on board. You need time, dont rush things.

Thanks for the reassurance Trewsers, gives me hpe:happy:

Good points Chunky Monkey, he is only 5 as well so maybe wont have it daily, give his little brain time to take stuff in:happy

Did you ever find something to ride in the end?

Oh err well, not saying too much as I dont want to jinx things. But ive decided to take on loan, a little exmoor someone has. I will be getting it fairly soon.

I can still ride chunky but im just not allowed to over do it. I have tried to up the exercise recently but he is still lythargic. So Im not going to over do it. Vet has said to give it more time and we will retest in the spring. If its still just as bad then we will have to do more intense examinations. Am dreaded a huge vet bill. Have already been warned.

Hence taking on the exy so I can still keep myself fit with riding and have my fix. Not sure how I will cope with two horses and all the other animals. But I will find a way.

I'd go for option 2 as well, but like someone else has said, I'd make sure I didn't overdo it and get the horse fed up. A fed up horse is a scary horse imo :help:

My horse is good as gold, but I stopped riding over the worst of the winter months and now that it's time to start again, my confidence was down on the floor. What works for me is to ride for just a few minutes ever day - little and often seems to do the trick, and from starting with 5 minutes of sitting tensely and wanting to get off, I can now comfortably manage 15 minutes of gentle, relaxed walk and trot without so much as a wibble...:biggrin:

The hardest part is getting on....in every sense :giggle:

I'd go for option 2 as well, but like someone else has said, I'd make sure I didn't overdo it and get the horse fed up. A fed up horse is a scary horse imo :help:

My horse is good as gold, but I stopped riding over the worst of the winter months and now that it's time to start again, my confidence was down on the floor. What works for me is to ride for just a few minutes ever day - little and often seems to do the trick, and from starting with 5 minutes of sitting tensely and wanting to get off, I can now comfortably manage 15 minutes of gentle, relaxed walk and trot without so much as a wibble...:biggrin:

The hardest part is getting on....in every sense :giggle:

I'm with you HM - Option 2, not just because the upheavel will be too much, my boy coped quite well with it and it helped reset our bad experiences, but just because you'll maybe be able to spread the help out over a longer period of time.
I am just thinking about getting going again (apart from the snow on Monday:stomp:) and intend on only sitting in the saddle for five minutes and building it up from there. But thats not before I've had a good couple of weeks of groundwork and walking out inhand to came him down.
Good luck Nat17 and let us know how you're going - us confidence ninnies need to stick together.

Thanks all, I am actually having a call with Caroline Putus from www.enjoyriding.co.uk next week, she advises in your horse too... thought it would be a nice start to the self ass kicking:happy:

I hope back is better to walk out with Sam this weekend:happy: I have a couple of days off so was hoping to do it daily before I ride again...

Ninnie signing out:giggle:

newrider.com