Help with leg aids?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Thought about posting this on the 'Training for the horse' forum but got scared - it looks a bit advanced to me, everyone seems to know what 'clicker training' and 'parelli' and 'monty' mean :rolleyes:

Had a lovely day today, in the school still working on trying to get my (share-loan) horse bending and balanced - we even managed a canter several times round on both reins, sometimes getting into the corners! Believe me, that's good progress for us.

Next step - I would like to get my horse listening to my legs more. I have only done leg yields a couple of times on a different horse. Tried on mine with absolutely no result! Got off (we have been doing some very simple groundwork, which I love) and tried to get him to move away from the pressure of my hand on his girth, which he wasn't very good at (I was surprised because when I'm grooming him you only need a little tap and a 'move over' for him to oblige). Got back on and tried to get him to move away from my leg - nothing.

I don't want to persevere with this exercise because I'm probably doing completely the wrong thing. Can anyone tell me what I could do? I did watch a video on youtube of a man getting his horse to move round (on the ground) by jabbing him in the side with the end of his whip. He said he wasn't hurting him but I don't fancy it.

Last edited:
Yeah jabbing sounds a bit harsh :eek:

Have you tried the usual smack behind the leg? This will usually work, the more you do to start with, the les you will have to do in the end if you get me.

Dont use spurs though...nasty little things:rolleyes:

Thanks Alice. Do you mean smack him or me?? :eek:

Really, do you mean I should smack behind my leg with my crop when I am on his back? Sorry for not understanding, I am very novice at schooling.

I would go back and teach it first from the ground. I had to do this with my own horse. Tapping at the girth may not be far enough back-- tap his rump or above his hocks, then gradually get closer to the girth as you work with him. I suggest lots of little treats to keep his interest, as this could get boring! Then mount up and ask for the same thing-- you will be asking for a turn on the forehand. When he's sure of this, the leg-yielding at the walk & trot will happen. If he forgets, do another turn on the forehand to remind him.

Thanks Bling, I'll give it a go. I love having little exercises to do. I'm also glad you said what you did about treats because I'm never sure whether I'm doing the right thing rewarding with treats.

Well, tried it this afternoon and it went great. I did have to tap him on his rump then work closer to his girth and eventually he was moving round with pressure on the girth. Got on and repeated with legs and after thinking about it for several seconds he did it! It certainly wasn't a perfect turn on the forehand - only a few steps round, but I was so pleased with him. The treats definitely helped! We did a few on both sides then moved on to our normal schooling and I went back at the end of the session to see if he remembered and he did. Later I rode him bareback just while I was waiting for my OH to come round, so tried it again and no response whatsoever! Maybe he thinks he had finished working for the day as I'd taken his tack off! Anyway OH came and tapped him on his side to move him round, so hopefully he will get the idea. I really enjoyed myself, can't believe the first time I got on him when I loaned him I went out into the school and after walking and trotting for 5 minutes wondered what I could do. Now I could spend all day with him and not get bored. :)

newrider.com