Help with jumping/2 point :S

Wicked

Jun 3, 2007
I really need some advice, and I kind of need it quickly since tomorrow I have my first jumping event. The thing I need help with is my 2 point. Since I started riding again, I've managed to pick up on how to do everything again rather quickly (1 month) except for my 2 point. For the first few lessons I was constantly having trouble with staying in the saddle. I only fell off once but I landed on my horses neck multiple times.

In my last lesson (Thursday) I FINALLY managed to get it right...and then yesterday when I was practicing by myself I couldn't do it. I again landed on the horses neck (thankfully only once this time), and found that when the horse landed I would jerk forward and would really have to use my legs to keep me in the saddle.

Now could this be caused by my stirrups not being the right length? On Thursday I did let someone else on my horse for a bit and since she has longer legs she needed to lengthen the stirrups and I'm not sure if I got them back at the right length. How would I know?

And could the landing on the horses neck be caused by me having crazy legs (my trainers term for when my legs slip back when going over a jump)?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I'll admit I've always had some difficulty understanding the 2 point so if there's anything you'd like to add about it please do!

PS. If I didn't explain something properly please tell me.

Now could this be caused by my stirrups not being the right length? On Thursday I did let someone else on my horse for a bit and since she has longer legs she needed to lengthen the stirrups and I'm not sure if I got them back at the right length. How would I know?

Stirrup length is very important. Some people raise them two holes from their flatwork length, I only raise them one. Two holes would make me feel like I'm perched. If you saw pictures of me riding and pictures of CurlyWurlyRach riding, you'd think I was a dressage rider and she was a jockey, because there's such a difference in our stirrup lengths (sorry to bring you into this CWR, but you make a good example!). It's just what we're both comfortable with. I'd say to just take a day riding and play with your stirrup length in two point. See where you feel the most stable and then remember that length.

And could the landing on the horses neck be caused by me having crazy legs (my trainers term for when my legs slip back when going over a jump)?

When I started doing two point, this was a problem I had too. It's a common problem. Keep more contact on the horse's sides and it will keep your leg position underneath you where it needs to be to steady your upper body. Keep your shoulders back and your leg underneath you, and you'll feel much more balanced. If you find you're started to tip forward, resteady your leg and bring your shoulders back.

2 -point is all about balance, you should spend some time doing flat-work in the 2-point to get good at it. You need to have a secure lower leg so you can stand up and your leg will be straight as it you were standing on the ground. Your leg slipping back could be causing you to fall onto your horses neck, but its more likely because you are unstable/ unbalanced.

Your stirrups should be a little shorter then 'normal' for jumping, can you ask your instructer whether or not your stirrups are too long/short?

Gripping with your knees can cause your lower leg to slip back (I know because I do it all the time :p)

I have been learning to jump and often end up with my weight on my hands on the horses neck after a jump, even when I have my weight in my heels, and my leg at the girth. The problem for me is that I fold too far forward, beyond the point where I am balanced at this point. I have in my head that I need to fold all the way down to her neck...maybe you are folding to far like me?

Well I just got back from the event and I would like to say thank you to all of you for your advice. By listening to what you guys said (don't squeeze with knees, get my trainer to check my stirrups, etc.) I was able to complete all my courses without landing on my horses neck. I even had others saying it looked like I had been riding for years.

So once again, thank you! :)

Lolo-b- I think it's the American (and possibly Australian?) word for jumping position. Not 100% sure but I have a feeling that's what it is.

Yes, that's what 2-point is. Also the position used for anything that you want to free the horses back up (galloping, etc). Two point contact because you've got two points of contact (the stirrups) to bear your weight, as opposed to full seat or three point contact where you have three points of contact (the stirrups, and the seat).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-point

newrider.com