Help with everything!!

Beccs69

Sep 13, 2010
Please help! My daughters loan pony arrived 6 days ago and I am asking for some advice so we can try to get things right from the beginning.
My daughter is 10 and has been hacking and having lessons on riding school ponies for 5 years. She is a quiet rider who needs some work to become more assertive, but is determined and keen to work hard at her riding.
The pony is a 13.1hh New Forest x Exmoor mare called Rosie who we were told was 8.
Day 1 - Rosie arrived and was put in the five acre field with an electric fence seperating her from 3 others so they could meet over the fence.
Day 2 - Rosie is mixing well with her new friends. One of the bigger horses puts her in her place now and again but she doesn't seem to mind - puts in a cheeky buck and canters away. My daughter goes out on a gentle hack, mostly walking with a bit of trotting, with one of the others from the field and me as a 'foot soldier'. Goes like a dream!
Day 3 - Rosie has a rest day, brought in for a good grooming and a bit of 'bonding'
Day 4 - Decide to play 'foot soldier' again with just Rosie and my daughter going out. Rosie decides she's having none of it and stops dead on the way out of the yard. My daughter uses her legs and voice to try to get Rosie to move on but she spins round and does a kind of half rear. There are some pigs on the farm which all the horses seem to be a bit scared of, so decide to switch to another route. We get about 50 yards down the track and Rosie puts in a spin and bucks. We decide to lead Rosie out in hand for a bit of a walk before my daughter gets on her. When she does, Rosie does another bigger rear at which point she wins, and my daughter decides she's getting off!
Day 5 - A hack with 2 of her new equine friends. Stops at a puddle but then steps round it with minimum fuss. Other than that she behaves perfectly
Day 6 - The lady who runs our tiny yard is a riding instructor. She offers to take pony and child to the school at the farm next door which we have the use of, a 10 minute walk away. As Rosie is walking through the yard she stops her nonsense again so the lady holds her by the bridle, uses a firm, slighly scary voice to get Rosie moving forwards. She keeps hold for the first five minutes, by which time Rosie decides she'll do as she's asked. They have a quick lesson during which time Rosie puts in small bucks whenever she's asked to canter, or if she's tapped with the stick, and has that horrible habit of snatching her head to pull the reins from my daughters hands. The walk home is perfect!
I know it's early days and it can take many months for some ponies to settle in to new homes but I want to make sure we're doing all we can to help her settle in. I think she's trying to push us to see what she can get away with, rather than being a spooky pony. The couple of times she's been out with the others she's been happy to take the lead. She's fine with dogs running around barking, tractors going ten feet past her when she's tied up in the yard, cars driving right past her when being led back to the field, a field full of geese etc etc. I haven't been as assertive as I should be which is something I know I'll have to work on. I also wondered if she is in the correct tack or if something else would be more suitable. She wears a grackle and a hanging cheek snaffle bit, no martingale. Can anyone give me any advice as to whether I could make any changes to her tack to something more suitable for a pony who bucks, spins, backs up and rears? She doesn't pull apart from the head snatching, and I think she could be quite a lazy pony rather than one who speeds off with people. I think she'll do as little as possible if she can get away with it. Her back has been checked, aswell as her teeth and tack.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks!!

Personally sounds like she is trying it on slightly, prehaps she isnt used to hacking out alone though.

Withe the bucks just keep in mind the chance of pain - is the saddle fitting correctly etc

she is in a new place and she is feeling a bit insecure. When she's out with the others she is confident as she has horsey company. When she's alone, she is picking up on you and your daughters (totally understandable and normal) nerves.

With a 10 year old, I'd be inclined to do lots of hacking in company to get them both having fun and gaining confidence and I would also be inclined to do lots of groundwork on your own with her so you can then help your daughter to gain confidence on her own.

Its very early days yet so the biggest thing is not to panic (oh and hurry up with the pictures:D)

I would also keep her doing things in company for a while until you know the pony better.

Maybe get the saddle checked as bucking and snatching the head down in canter could be pain related.

she is in a new place and she is feeling a bit insecure. When she's out with the others she is confident as she has horsey company. When she's alone, she is picking up on you and your daughters (totally understandable and normal) nerves.

With a 10 year old, I'd be inclined to do lots of hacking in company to get them both having fun and gaining confidence and I would also be inclined to do lots of groundwork on your own with her so you can then help your daughter to gain confidence on her own.

Its very early days yet so the biggest thing is not to panic (oh and hurry up with the pictures:D)

Ditto this!

My friend's daugther got a new pony on loan a few months ago and for their first ride they went into the arena. Pony freaked and started bronking. Had the saddle checked, back checked, teeth checked, all ok. So went back to hacking and he's been a little angel ever since. Will now ride very happily in the school and hasn't bucked since.

They just need time to settle in and hacking in company is a great way for horse and rider to bond without the stress of doing things "alone".

Good luck with her! :)

Lots of hacking in company and RI lessons. Depending how serious the bucks areeither with your daughter on or a more experienced rider.

If neither you or daughter are assertive avoid getting into situations where you have to give in to pony!!! It does sound like cheeky pony testing the limits. I wouldn't make any tack changes immediately until you know the pony better although a grackle and hanging cheek doesn't suggest child's first pony to me!!

Agreed - it won't help the pony or your daughter - get her used to riding the pony in groups and gaining her confidence - maybe she could share lessons with another kid and the RI?

Would keep in mind pain with tack when asking for canter even if back and teeth have been checked, it requires the backend to come under to an extent which WT dont require if on the forehand.

Once daughter is a bit bigger probably and more confident, then you can worry about the hacking alone issues. For the time being let them have fun - perhaps see what she would be like ridden in a field so she is close to companions? Though it can make them nappy/silly it depends on the pony.

I think she's trying to push us to see what she can get away with, rather than being a spooky pony.

I was going to suggest what eml says. In the early days, if she's happy hacking in company, then that's the way to go to get everyone's confidence.

It's what I do with new, nervous/highly strung ponies, just do things that put a smile on everyone's face.

I did raise an eyebrow about the tack too eml, but have learned that it's often an owner fashion statement than rather what a pony needs! Been lent horses to ride out with a friend and removed the martingales and market harbro's just for a gentle hack....never needed them, yet the owner was convinced they did! :D ;)

I did raise an eyebrow about the tack too eml, but have learned that it's often an owner fashion statement than rather what a pony needs! Been lent horses to ride out with a friend and removed the martingales and market harbro's just for a gentle hack....never needed them, yet the owner was convinced they did! :D ;)

Its funny the couple of yards Ive been on how tack goes in trends - one week every one is in a flash, then next a martingale, then draw reins... tack is contagious.

I have been riding for a few years, and never owned a martingale of any kind, never needed one. ;)

The only one I see a point in is the standing one, but agreed.

Funniest was "My horse has started head shaking, so Im going to ride him in draw reins"

Thanks for all the replies. Think it's naughty pony with a bit of new yard etc mixed in. Sent a text to the owner with an update now that Rosie has been with us for a week and she replied to say that when they first got her 2 years ago she was the same. They were firm with her and she soon calmed down and started behaving. She's ringing me tonight so will ask about the grackle. I did notice a few of them in her tack room when we visited so it could just be a 'trend' thing. Going to tack her up and lead her out on foot for 15/20 minutes today then let my daughter ride her back so will let you know how we get on. Must practice my scarey voice in the meantime!!!

This is so true!

I tried a lovely jumping mare when I was looking for a second horse. She was 11 and a schoolmistress. She was wearing so much tack you wouldn't believe including a martingale. Says I, "Why does she need the martingale?" Says the seller, "We always show all our horses in martingales."
:spin:

I have my boy in a hanging cheek snaffle, with no nose band and he goes fine in this. I'm no fan of grackle nose bands, it's pretty much clamping the pony's mouth shut, and masks the problem (if there is one?).. Ask the R.I. to assess the mare with a normal bridle, and a snaffle, and see what she thinks? Perhaps get a more experienced rider to do this, so you can see exactly what's she's capable of? End of the day, it's what ever suits the horse/pony what matters, if she is proved to go better with this set up, then so be it, if not, then try some thing new :)

Last edited:
Well, took Rosie out a couple of hours ago. Held her going out of the yard. She stopped at her usual corner and tried to rear so I held on tight, pushed her slightly sideways and used my voice very firmly and she walked on. A few yards later she did it again and just refused to budge. One of the other ponies had was just about to go down to the field so her owner led her in front of Rosie for around ten yards. Rosie followed nicely then we overtook and away we went. We decided to make it a quick ten minute walk, and build up each day. She tried it on a couple of times on the way out but I held her and made her walk forward with my voice, a nudge sideways and the sound of the whip hitting my wellies. On the way back I didn't hold her and she was fine. Walked and trotted back a slightly different route and seemed to listed to my daughter more and on tried to snatch the reins once. Will build things up each day and make sure they go out in company loads so they can both relax. Don't want things to be too much of an ordeal for either of them! Will wait a few weeks for things to settle before I try a different bridle. She had been trying to bite us but this has stopped aswell after we growled loudly at her each time she tried it. No attempts to bite today so I feel we're making progress. Onwards and upwards!!!!

Well, things are getting tricky again! Rosie has now started to play up when we bring her in from the field. She runs away when we try to put her headcollar on, but only a few feet then seems happy for us to get it on. Leading her down the field to the gate she is playing up something rotten. Turns in front of me and bites! Have read another thread about jif lemon so will try that. Once she's out of the field she's fine walking up the lane to the yard.

Have decided to get her a new saddle fitted. Noticed the other day that the back of the saddle moves from side to side when my daughter is trotting on her. Googled loads of things about saddles and apparantly this means pressure and rubbing at the front of the saddle so that needs to be fixed. Sticking with the grackle at the moment as don't want to make too many changes, but going to try her in an eggbutt french link on her lesson this afternoon to see if that helps. Will wait a couple of weeks then try a different bridle.

She played up terribly going up to the school on the next farm the other day and our RI had to get on her and ride her there. Once in the school she was ok and not so much of the head shaking and snatching at the reins. Yesterday I rode her up and my daughter got on half way. She tried to rear, buck and spin round with me but I kept her moving forward in a slow trot up the corn field and she was ok. Gave my daughter a lesson in the school. Hilarious as I'm no RI and was saying things like 'change the rein somewhere up the top' 'do a snake (should have been serpantine) in trot'! We both laughed lots and perhaps this helped as both daughter and pony did really well and there were no bucks/rein snatching etc and we finished on a good note with a wee cross pole in canter.

Got a lesson this afternoon with one of the other ponies so getting up to the school will be fine. Hopefully once a new saddle is in place and with a kinder bit and bridle fitted things will start to calm down a bit. Just need to sort out this coming in from the field thing. She even does it when she's coming in at tea time to be fed.

Still dont panic! This is still totally normal - I find you can have 2 or 3 months of this before everyone settles down.

You are doing all the right things so just keep calm and keep going:D

Its actually really refreshing to find someone who is happy to work through the issues rather than just say "oh its a bad pony" and get rid of it!

One daft thing though, you arent feeding her carrots by any chance? Or any high sugar feed (including mollased chaff!)? Carrots, beetpulp, anything like that blows Arnies brain!

She sounds like she is trying it on. Nothing a firm hand and voice won't sort out I'm sure.

My little 12.2hh welsh pony is a complete cow at times. She is a very dominant mare and needs to be put in her place.

I have to be very firm with her at which time she will back down. If I pussyfoot around her and being a nice mummy she takes the pee.

You just can't let her get away with anything.

Horses like dogs need their human to be the "alpha male".

I find that discipline earns respect.

newrider.com