Help with buying 1st horse plz!!

louise123

Jul 1, 2014
Hi i'm new on here looking for a mother/daughter share, we went to view one yesterday 8 yr old 1/2 tb but its looks abit thin do you think its muscle waste & would i be able to feed him up? Also he had a mark on his side like a zig zag any ideas what it might be (i no random questions) but i'm out of my comfort zone here.
1st pic is the one with zig zag.
Any help appreicated.
Thanks
ARCHIE 1.jpg ARCHIE 1.jpg archie 2.jpg ARCHIE 1.jpg archie 2.jpg

It does look to be in poor condition and appears to have muscle wastage as well. It's impossible to say whether you'd be able to 'feed him up' easily or not. I'd be a bit wary as he may well turn into a different horse when fit and fed properly. the line looks like a clip line from what I can see but it would have to have been a rather whacky clip?! Do you know if he might have had surgery or something that might have required someone to shave off random parts of his hair? What's his story? and welcome to the forum :)

hi notpoodle don't really no to much about him he seems calm and friendly girl selling him said she's had him 18 month but bought him off her friend so she's known him for many years, supposed to be going back up later to have a ride of him & thanks for the welcome :)

Hello, and welcome. Sorry to be negative but i would very much steer clear of a TB, especially one out of condition, as a first horse as you are likely to find yourself facing many issues as you try to get the condition back. These could be both health or behavioural issues. My mother in law bought an out of condition TB a few years ago and let him have 6 weeks off with good grass and regular hard feed to improve the condition, and the first time she tried to ride him he bronked her off resulting in 5 broken ribs and a punctured lung. She was in a bad way for months. Now i know this wont always be the case, but there are lots of lean TB's going up for sale for very little money, who generally have health/behavioral issues, usually one as the result of another. MIL's TB turned out to have a severe back issue and was pts as there was no positive prognosis. ( both me and my riding instructor advised her against the purchase at the time, however she didnt listen, and didn't have it vetted)

Do you have an experienced friend or instructor who can help you view and possibly be able to pick up on a lot of common issues, or a vet you know and trust who can assess suitability as part of the vetting? For a first horse and mother daughter share i would be looking for a safe and sensible cob/native type of around 8-10 years old who comes from a reputable source. I would also enlist the help of your riding instructor to help you with the viewing if you can, and if not then i wouldn't buy with out at least a 2* vetting from a vet i trusted.

ETA also do you know the person selling or is it a stranger? I would be inclined to google the name/address/number etc and see what comes up as there is possibility it may be for sale from a dealer. I would be concerned as to why at this time of year a horse is that under condition/lacking in muscle, particularly if she has had him 18months? Are the other horses on the yard in poor condition? Often a physical issue/pain can cause condition to drop.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Hello and welcome. He does look underweight, but that's all I can say, I'm very unsure about such things. Just wanted to add, I took my RI with me for horse viewings.

He's very thin, poor boy.

An underfed TB can be calm to ride who when fit and feisty will be much more challenging. I wouldn't rely on the results of your ride unless you and your mum are both confident and happy to cope with how he turns out.

Also I see that the zig zag thing catches the light. Could it be a scar? I have to say I don't get a great feeling about this horse.

Welcome to the forum - sorry not to be more positive - my feeling is you could probably do better. What are your criteria for your new horse?

hello trewsers prob is dont have RI anymore but good point - kaliko99 and jane&ziggy yes he is thin he is on a strip of grass well land no grass on it, apparantely she gives the horses (she has 4 included him) haylage but prob not enough 2 are in ok condition but that boy & a 2 year old arent - i'm taking on board what your saying about tb's - what i want is a horse that is mum/daughter share i no i prob shud shy away from that boy feel sorry for him though :-(

I absolutely see why you feel sorry for him, but having been there and put years of love, blood, sweat, tears and endless money, i would honest try and let your head rule your heart. At the very least, if you do want to consider him, please get a vet to do a 2* vetting at the minimum. Horses like him are barely worth 500 quid, and a vetting will be around 200, but if you buy him and he presents with health problems it will be costly and by then you may have fallen for him and will feel responsible to do your best by him. I would also worry about how he will ride, particularity if you are looking for something to ride regularly and even use for competing.

I also worry that whoever is selling him may take advantage of your lack of experience in buying, as it can be very easy to sell a story, especially to a real horse lover who feels sorry for the horse. I am speaking from experience of being taken in by a sotry and letting my heart rule my head so please don't feel i am being critical.

What are you looking for as a rough criteria, where about are you based and what is your rough budget? You may find some of the members on here might be reasonably close to you and could recommend something to you? There are some very experienced horse owners, instructors etc on here who could possibly help. I once recommended a horse to a member on here, which she bought and still has. Just a thought, and if you feel my questions are too intrusive then no worries :)

Sorry but I wouldn't even try to ride him.... poor boy, he's no muscle along his topline at all and in my very novice opinion is far to underweight, I would keep looking if I were you. You may well be able to 'feed him up' but as others have said he may turn into a very different horse.
Sorry for sounding negative but I wouldn't have him unless I knew what I was doing and had lots of knowledgable support. I too would be wondering why he's in such poor condition at this time of year.

Reactions: Cortrasna
no i definately don't find your questions to intrusive glad of the help not much of a budget £1000 she wants £900 for him but prob cud knock her down - just hacking and fun really i know you are all talking sense i'm not attached yet so head not heart and kite rider dont think your being negative just honest he's in rubbish condition cos no grass at all :-(

£900! She is having a laugh.

For your budget you ought to be able to find a nice sturdy chap, in reasonable condition, who will take you hacking and pop over logs when you want. How experienced are you & your mum? If a young horse (under 7) wouldn't bother you, you should be spoiled for choice. If you tell us whereabouts you are we will keep our eyes peeled for you.

PS I am glad you are not attached to the TB. I feel sorry for him too but I bought my pony because I felt sorry for him and couldn't leave him in the yard and he really was the wrong pony for me. I still have him and I adore him and we have grown into each other but he was not (and is not) a nice steady Eddie at all!

Oh I forgot to say, please do look at Horses4Homes.net www.horses4homes.net. These are all horses being rehomed by honest (checked out) owners. Donations are usually around £500 and there are sometimes some really nice horses on there. A friend got one, but you have to be prepared to go through a lot of checking to win a desirable horse! There are several on there that might suit you, depending on your experience.

Reactions: kaliko99
i'm in the manchester area - thanks everyone for your input what a friendly bunch you are!! The owner of the part tb doesnt seem to keen on me riding him (wonder why I know now thanks to you lot) she said he's sold from field so gonna keep looking.
Once again thanks guys :)

Welcome to the forum, I echo everyone else, but I will be more blunt. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Walk away and find someone you trust, and experienced friend or RI to help you find a decent first horse. Much as I feel sorry for the one in the picture it is really worth no more than meat money, and poor thing is quite likely headed there sometime soon IMO.:(

Can you give us all a wish list and some sort of price guide, we absolutely love trawling the net horse hunting for members on here?:D

feel for the gelding :-( hi cortrasna sad outlook for him - jane&ziggy we are in north west manchester budget not great £1000 or bit more but could do with tack anything 14.2/3hh upwards thank you :)

Do you have anything you wish to do? Jumping, trec, hacking, schooling?

Are there any no go things such as allergies or coat colours or laminitis prone etc?

I will keep ears peeled as I'm local and if you want a (rubbish) second opinion on a horse I'm happy to come along if I can

newrider.com