Help with Arthritis, Treeless Saddles and Stirrups

alfiesmum

Apr 4, 2009
Devon
Hi
I am new to NR but have looked at posts when researching before and have just joined up.

I am mid forties with Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA just diagnosed) I have a beautiful young New Forest and want to keep riding. Has anyone else changed their riding style and tack to keep comfortable?

I ride in a lovely english VSD saddle (pony has big shoulders) but my knees, ankles etc are hurting!!

I am thinking about changing to a Barefoot Saddle, either Cherokee or Nevada and endurance stirrups to take the pressure off my joints?

Anyone done this before and has it worked?

Thanks

Hi there and welcome to NR. I ride my very wide cob in a Freeform treeless. I love this saddle but I find that I have problems with my hips. There is very little "twist" to most treeless saddles and they tend to force your hips apart. You may find this is a problem with your arthritis. The Freeform has more twist than most treeless but its still a bit hard going! I have had some amount of success using suber pad type inserts and a sheepskin seat saver. I would definately recommend that you trial any treeless you fancy before you buy. While they are incredibly comfy from a "bum" point of view:), they do have other issues.

As far as your knees and ankles go, I have similar problems and use Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups which have really helped.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect saddle:D

I suspect I have arthritis (rheumatic diagonised when I was younger) and have problems with my hips and knees. I have just bought a Sensation and ride with easy tread stirrups which have a wide cushioned tread. My Sensation has a small twist bolster and I believe you can also get seatsavers for them. My daughter has 90 degree Sprenger System 4 stirrups and they are also good but I do find a wider tread is better for me.

Definitely trial any saddle you are thinking of :D.

Hi and welcome!
I have bad arthritis in my joints, especiallly in my hands; My right knee is also painfull. I take Ibroprofen :) make sure when I go out on longer hacks change the pace often as that helps, always wear warm gloves, and those heated pads are really good too!

treeless saddles are really well padded and may help. can you get one on trial- i have a torsion and its fantastic for hacking in . they do do a trial thingy so you can check it out before you buy one.

Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, they have set me off looking further at different styles and types.

I will check out the different stirrup types and saddles and let you know what I get to.

I havent tried the heat pads, that is a great idea.

It is sort of nice to know that there are other people with problems still carrying on riding, lots of friends who are not horsey say give up, but they dont understand! Luckily my OH says keep riding, or he wont be able to stand me!!!!

Will do some ringing and checking this am.

Thanks to you all.

Have a look at the Heather Moffett hip saver, there is a model to fit most treeless saddles, I use one designed for the Barefoot saddles on my Torsion and it fits perfectly in place of the normal seat. Very comfy definately helps the hips and is non slip too so makes you feel very secure:)

Can't really offer any advise but wanted to say hi. I'm 36yrs and have been diagnosed with RA since I was 24yrs.
I continued to ride for quite a while without having to change tack(although my saddler sewed plastic slips on to the end of the girth straps, so i could use my teeth if need be:eek:).
I had a horse on loan and he was a bit 'challenging' so looked into western saddles and stock saddles. Unfortunately my saddler said the western saddle would be hard to fit as he had high withers and didn't need the extra weight as he had had a bad back in the past and was a teenager.I tried riding in a stock saddle(on a friends horse) and felt very secure and would have loved one.
However, it wasn't to be as my elbows fused and my whole body took a turn for the worse:mad:.
I have an appointment soon with the results of my (3rd:eek:) MRI to discuss whether there is any chance of keeping my own elbows.
I have no intention of giving up completely but am having a riding break at the moment. I still handle my section A baby.
My consultant has said that he has never seen me happier than when I have been riding and he personally wouldn't recommend I stop but he does think its risky.
I'm currently on alot of medication (Enbrel, methatrexate,voltarol and tramadol) I do have to be careful not to get bitten(even insects) and cut and if I do then they have to be cleansed fully and I have to let the hospital know as theres an increased risk of infection.
Just wanted you to know that if your determined and heed advise given then there really is no need to give up(even if everyone thinks its in your best interest) Don't know bout you but I get depressed if I'm not around horses:D.
Goodluck and if you ever want a rant or a chat please feel free to PM x

I have lower back, knee and foot problems (played way to fast and furious as a kid!!)

I use an Australian Endurance Saddle. The Australian is made to sit more forward on the horse and it places you in a smoother riding position, also, the leg possition is different... more forward and straighter legged.. which allows me to 'relax' my knee, allowing for much more comfortable rides.

http://www.horsetackreview.com/review-display/1441.html

http://www.downunderweb.com/store/Saddles_Endurance.html

Angie J

Choices

Thanks to everyone, I am going to spend time testing a barefoot tomorrow (weather permitting) with some easy tread stirrups, all borrowed from an endurance friend. Then have rung different companies looking for information on Sensation, Freeform, Torsion and Barefoot.

Thanks for your help and I will keep you all posted. I am seeing that it isnt a case of what I like as that might not suit my pony!

Any more advice very gratefully received. Thanks again.:eek:

I think an open mind is best. I have lots of pains too (am in my fifties) so I sympathise.
My Heather Moffet SBS is great on my short backed Highland but I've struggled with it on my Welsh Cob and finally decided we would both do better with a treed saddle.
I have a Barrie Swain gp for her which is very comfortable for us both and also does not make her feel as wide.
Good luck and keep riding!

Heahter Moffett's Hip Saver

Have a look at the Heather Moffett hip saver, there is a model to fit most treeless saddles, I use one designed for the Barefoot saddles on my Torsion and it fits perfectly in place of the normal seat. Very comfy definately helps the hips and is non slip too so makes you feel very secure:)

I agree! I have a Barefoot Cherokee saddle and was having pain in my hips and legs so I bought a Heather Moffett Hip saver and it feels much better now.:)

I recently bought a barefoot sheepskin seat saver and its lovely, cushy on the bum and also gives a bit of twist.

I have ankle pain and find the soft tread stirrups to be the best, I have got flex rides but they aren't as good as the soft treads.
I also have hm stirrups and they are really good with the wide tread and the icelandic top.

So Happy!

Well, I did my one hour ride today with a borrowed too big Barefoot Cheyenne, a Grandeur Pad to protect my boy, and the soft tread stirrups with cages, and I am as high as a kite, cos when I got off I wasnt hobbling!!!! I wanted to cry with happiness because it was so much easier, so thanks to you all for your varied comments.

I am not going to count my chickens, and will try again, and again.

My boy had no obvious pressure points and we did walk, trot and a gentle canter, but I wonder whether I would feel as stable on a mad ride or a steep hill. I am sure if I got the right size (size 1) it would be more stable.

I really fancy the look of the Cherokee - if anyone has them I would love good and bad points.

Off do buy the stirrups though they are wonderfull and light and I LOVE EM!

Will keep you posted and keep reading to learn more about the treeless.

Thanks from a happy lady!

Reactions: Aln
Trialling

Thanks fjiordlady, I am now madly looking around but for now will keep riding just to check it wasnt a one off!!!

There are some lovely looking saddles around. I will look at horse and harmony as they seem to have a good reputation.

Just in that "I cant decide moment!". Still for now I can borrow the saddle and keep seeing where it takes me. Nice not to be in pain even for a day.
Thanks for your tips.

Have a look at the freeforms as well, they offer a lot of twist, they are also a lot better made then the barefoots, you might be able to pick one up second hand.:)

Freeforms

Thanks No Angel
Am waiting for a reply from someone selling them. Still like the look of the Exmoor that you have, just want to know the impossible, will it fit and will I like it!!!!??? If we all had the answer to that one, there would be no second hand saddles.

Off to look at Freeform on Ebay.

What type of back does your boy have and do you have any pics?

Depending on the shape of his back it can discount a few saddles:)

newrider.com