Help...very footsore :(

Cate Ged

Oct 20, 2006
Fife, Scotland
Needing some help if anyone can offer it. Dan has been unshod now for 31/2 years only needing occasional visits from the farrier to keep his feet looking good and him walking sound.

However after his recent lami attack his feet sort of collapsed a bit and spread so the farrier trimmed his feet last Thursday taking a fair amount off. Unfortunatly Dan is now really really lame! He s so uncomfortable on his feet that he doesn't even want to go out in the field!

He is not too bad with his hoof boots on but how long can he ware these?

I think I will need to get him some stable matting, any recomendations?

Should I get him shod on the front to see if that helps ease the pain?

Anything else I can do?

Thanks guys, am worrying about him he is 22 and too old for all of this :(

Was the soreness there immediately after the trim? Has the farrier taken too much off? You need to be really sure that it is just the trim that's cause it and not another bout of laminitis. Any digital pulses? If you're not totally sure what exactly is causing the soreness (like you saw farrier trimming the sole too much or something like that) then its best to get the vet and keep on a deep bed with no grass until you know what's wrong. Might be totally overreacting but better to be a drama queen than risk more damage.

I wouldn't shoe since damage from laminitis is much easier to grow out barefoot and easier to keep the little bits of white line disease that tend to appear after laminitis to just little bits without a shoe for it to lurk under. Boots are ok to be turned out in, you can put thick hiking socks underneath to stop them rubbing. If all that's wrong is an over-enthusiastic trim then pads from www.equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk are really good for putting in boots, help with comfort and with encouraging the feet to grow.

Does sound like the farrier has been too over enthusiastic. Echo the comment about getting some soft pads from that supplier to put in your boots, and stabling on a deep bed. Boots are fine to turn out in, but I wouldn't like to leave them on more than 12/24, and would implement regular scrubbing and soaking both of the feet and boots to discourage thrush and other nasties.

Shoeing might make him more comfortable in the short term, but it won't guarantee it and it will be harder to spot any further issues with lami until they're more advanced.

newrider.com