Help! Standing while tied...

PonyGirlAsh

Buongiorno, Principessa!
Nov 17, 2004
California, USA
www.myspace.com
Well, the new ponio has a bit of a problem...she is so used to being groomed and tacked in her stall (with food distractions :eek:) that she isn't too thrilled with the prospect of doing these things outside while tied. I'm not a fan of doing everything in the stall, so I've been tying her to one of those fancy blocker tie rings (no cross ties at this barn unfortunately). At first she is okay, but once she figures out there is no food around, she is all over the place - avoids being brushed and touched really. :(

How would you guys recommend I teach her how to stand still while tied? I've started some Clinton Anderson groundwork with her, but don't really know how to apply that to this particular situation.

A haynet? If I'm tying mine up for more than a cursory groom, I give them a haynet which keeps them out of trouble :) Both can be left without but are much better behaved with :)

Standing

Practice and telling her how its gonna be from now on.

When I got my mare 6 months ago she hated being tied up and would just fidget NON STOP. You persevere and ignore her flapping. I made a point of grooming her whilst tied up and have always been strict about my space - I don't like pony who barge or knock you out of the way so i have been pretty strict about that and now she is tones better. The easiest way to get her to respect my space was using elbows:) If I sensed she was about to swing into me or squash me against the wall I stuck my elbow out so she barged into it - she soon understood that invading my space was not comfortable and stopped. Now she moves around me as i groom - I don't even have to say over she just moves - it doesn't take long.

She still fidgets when tied on her own but its getting much better - I find it helps if they can easily see what's around them without moving. Tru fidgets a lot less when tied to a fence she can look over for example.

Hope this helps,

Diana

newrider.com