HELP! Someone calm me down!!! *update*

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I think I need a sedative or something.

Since Rubic got her bandage off her leg has been rather puffy to just below her knee.

This morning I was poking and prodding and am now slightly worried that the portal (wound) at the back is maybe infected. It isn't oozing but looks a little red (it looked a bit red when the bandage came off to be fair) and there is slight heat around it. I poked and prodded and when I got close to it she pulled her leg away. Phoned the vet this morning to discuss it and he said he'd be concerned if that was a pain response and I was poking around the portal. I'm starting to doubt myself and I'm not sure if I actually pressed on it or around it or how close I was to it when she pulled away etc or whether she was just pulling it away as she was irritated by me etc. I'm going to check again tonight and see what I think.

Personally I think she is walking better on it today than she was on Tuesday when the vet last saw her but she still rests the leg on occasion while she is eating.

I am so panicky. I keep going cold and I'm getting palpitations even thinking about it! I'm not sure whether to ask my boss for a half day so I can go and check her again during working hours (I really don't need another emergency out-of-hours call out!).

Am I over-reacting?!

Last edited:
No, you are not over reacting, but you do need to take a few moments to take a deep breath and calm down.

If your boss will let you, can you pop to the field for an hour over lunch and see how she is? Is there anyone else experienced who could give you a second opinion?

If you can't pop out, go and take a half day and spend the afternoon with her. It will make you feel better just to be with her.

Whilst it is a worry and you aren't over-reacting, you do need to calm down as you need to be able to think straight. So lots of deep breaths!

As MP suggests, maybe try and pop back over lunch/this afternoon, or is it possible to give the vet a shout and get them to pop over if they're passing or once they're finished their rounds for the day? Generally most vets are pretty good at fitting you in if they're treating an ongoing injury that needs to be kept on top of.

Last edited:
I challenge anyone in a similar situation to you, not to 'overreact'. To that end, there is no overreaction possible.
I'd probably try and get the time off. This is the sort of scenario where as long as you don't generally take the p!ss at work, asking for holidays, being off sick and the like, then your boss will be happy to allow you time off in my experience. (Its why my manager was absolutely fine when I asked for a half day to go and search for an escaped hamster. Now that was an overreaction on my part!)

I do feel for you but as MP and B&P said, having a panic won't help you or Rubic and it is very easy to work yourself up to a frenzy with the what if's, so as advised, deep breaths.

If she looked more comfy on it than Tuesday, that is a good sign, and you are monitoring her so closely, so all changes will be noted.

Hopefully you can get away at lunchtime to ease your mind a bit.

MP's advise on the other thread about one day at a time was excellent I thought.

Fingers crossed.

PS. If the vet is concerned that its a pain response, what can he do if he does come out? If you're not sure about the answer to that, could you call back and ask them that? I'm just wondering is there anything else they can do at the moment, even if it is a pain response?

I would only just have enough time to get there and back over lunch and that if the traffic is good. Then if I did need to stay for the vet then I'd need to phone and let my boss know and I don't think he'd be very happy! I don't have a lot of work on today so I think that half day idea is better. Unfortunately my boss is generally quite grumpy and a colleague is off so I think he'll give me it off grudgingly!

Everyone else is at work/on holiday or I would ask someone else to have a look and see what they think. I think I'd be better err-ing on the side of caution to be honest and it'll probably help me out if I just take my time checking her over again and if I can't decide whether there is something wrong then I should just get him to come out and look.

Currently in the process of calming down but doing lots of pointless little odd-jobs to keep me busy and distracted!

PS. If the vet is concerned that its a pain response, what can he do if he does come out? If you're not sure about the answer to that, could you call back and ask them that? I'm just wondering is there anything else they can do at the moment, even if it is a pain response?

He said for the puffiness to put a fleece stable bandage on but I'm not sure what he would do if it is a pain response. I think they'd want to see if it is infected and antibiotics perhaps? Think I've decided to take a half day and check her and phone the vets back.

If in doubt, get him out!

IT could be that she's right royally fed up of having that leg prodded and poked, or it could be that she needs it looked at. Either way a vet calling past and having a look will A) put your mind at rest or B) nip something in the bud. Catching things early is 99.9% of a cure.

My vet is happy to prescribe me any number of drugs so long as I am confident, if I call him out he KNOWS he is needed. IF I am in the slightest doubt the vet comes out.

That is what I'm thinking to be honest Wally. Going to ask for a half day and just phone the vets and get them to come out. At this stage I'd rather be safe than sorry. And it would stop me from getting in such a panic!

No she hasn't been on antibiotics for nearly a week now. On Tuesday vet said the infection in the joint will have been completely cleared (there was a worry they may have had to flush it a 2nd time). I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing. In my head the worst it could be is a superficial infection to the portal but surely, since the surgery was performed a week and a half ago, the portal will no longer be open to the joint (?) Vet is out between 3-4...hopefully he'll put my mind at rest (or sneak some tranquiliser into my drink or something!)

Last edited:
wow that's fast. it seemed like it all happened just a few days ago!
or maybe the approach over there is different. Over here they would be on antibiotics for 10 days regardless.
In fact Minnie was on it for 3 months or so at the tune of $80 a week or something like that. :/

Hopefully it's just fine and you get to just have a nice afternoon off with your girl! :)

You're NOT overreacting, you're being observant & sensible. Given her recent history I'd get the vet out if it was me, as Wally says "IF I am in the slightest doubt the vet comes out. "

I hope she's ok x

I'd have done the same, panicked, got myself into a tiz, and been told to "calm down!!"..
You're not over reacting as other posters have said. You're going through a very stressful time atm, and I fully understand where you are in your head. Maybe get some herbal calmers from the chemists, they should help xx

I don't think you are overreacting at all. If something is really worrying you, in view of recent history I would call the vet out. I can tell you very confidently to calm down and try and stay positive and not to panic etc. etc. .......but unfortunately I am also inclined to panic over this sort of thing if it is one of mine!:eek:

If I am helping a friend in an emergency I am the epitome of cool calm and sensible....but if it is one of mine I just go to pieces so I do feel for you right now.:smile: Everything crossed that there isn't anything too worrying going on.

I'd be getting the vet out too to be honest. Chances are she's fine but if not the sooner she's seen the better. Try not to panic. I know it's hard but panic never helps. Virtual hugs coming your way.

She has a little bit of cellulitis in the portal. It's not oozing so I caught it early enough. She's got some antibiotics and now she's not kicking the door he is happier to give her a bit of danilon. Hopefully the antibiotics will help. I've to check it tomorrow and if it is worse then phone him again. Unfortunately the wounds are just in the right place to pick up all sorts from the ground so they can get infected fairly easily.

See, you weren't making a fuss over nothing & in fact being observant & taking prompt action has meant that a problem has been caught early & is now unlikely to turn into a major issue. Please give yourself a pat on the back & a big glass of wine to help you relax x

newrider.com