Help required on making a barrel jump.

Sarah_Sayers

Nov 15, 2006
Great Yarmouth
Hello everyone!

Willow and I have just started having a go at XC (perhaps I should do an update....hmmmm.) and I am a little spookey around the blue barrels at our local course. I've now acquired some lovely blue barrels to practice, but not sure how to make them a safe jump.

Ideally they need to be portable so I can get them to the school I hire. The XC course has them in a wooden frame, which I guess is a possibility, but will make them hard to transport. I wondered about some kind of chocs? Don't really want to cut the bottoms to make them flat, but at the minute wonder if that's the easiest solution.

Anyone jump barrels? What do you do to make them safe? Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Thanks,
Sarah and Willow. x

Yes i do use barrels, we've got the metal oil drums.

All i used to do with lighter ones and others is to lay a pole either side to stop them rolling should they be knocked.

To gain confidence you could use as a filler and then your not focusing on the barrels themselves.

Oh lovely, thanks for that. I wasn't sure if poles would be enough to stop them rolling, but if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me! (It's good enough for two.... it's what I want to be.... *wanders off humming tune to self*)

Thanks.

My friend used to put a cross pole in front and behind the barrels, apparntly it makes it a little harder for the horse.
Any jump has the potential to roll even the poles.

You could also knock in some batterns in front and behind so it doesn't move that way. But then they are not portable.

Thank you. We had a bash at playing with them today, we put a cross pole behind (there are jumps at the school, it's just the barrels that needed to be portable), did the trick. I'm now much less spookey around blue barrels.

Guess we've got to work on the water next!

newrider.com