Help pony wont go in trap!!!!!!

Nikkik

May 6, 2009
Can anyone please give me some advice on dealing with this problem. I have an 11.2 pony, she is 5yrs old, broken to ride, but never grew big enough for me so I thought I would break her to drive.

We have spent about eight months long reining her, she is brilliant. We have put weight behind her i.e log, pallet, she will drag them happily over any surface and is happy with this. We have walked the trap behind her, for her to get use to it and the noise it make again she is fine. The problem is when we try to put her in the trap she goes up lunges forward, and out of the shafts, she will not have none of it!!!!!!!!!

What can I try!!!!!!!!!
Sorry its so long.:)

Is it the shafts that are bothering her? When you pulled your log or pallet did you have makeshift shafts? I would get a couple of broomsticks and with a helper either side put the broomstick in each tug and let her get the feel of them, straight line first then gradually put a little bit of pressure so she feels the "shaft" on her side and see how she reacts, gradually introduce turns where more pressure will be applied. Then try this whilst pulling the log or pallet or whatever.
Check your carriage shafts are wide enough too, if she is feeling undue pressure as the carriage is brought forward to her she will jump away, not forgetting of course presumably she is blinkered and hasnt a clue whats "grabbing her round her ribs!" When you do try the carriage again just try to get the shafts in the tugs but dont attach anything, have a person each side who can pull the carriage as she walks forward, and remove the carriage quickly if it all goes pear shaped.
Failing this I would send her to a professional to do the next stage, if she is taking fright there is always a danger she will take off once the carriage is attached.

newrider.com