help please 'which bit!'

nedtherapy

Feb 26, 2009
Hi, I'm new to this site and would really appreciate any help and guidance! I have owned my horse for 2 years now (having only got back into riding some 3 years ago) she's normally is ridden in a french link sweet iron snaffle, she's fine in this bit for flat work but I would like to have more control on her when jumping as she becomes quite strong! I really don't have a clue what bit to buy tho! I obviously don't want anything severe just to give me a little more control!

Thanks for any help!!

if she's happy in the mouth piece look to change the cheeks
bit of poll pressure is a hanging cheek snaffle
then could try a neue schule universal if something more needed
then look to some kind of gag

It really depends on the horse how they respond to different apparatus and bits... (and how steady the riders hands are; horses can go in slightly stronger bits if the rider can really only use them when neccesarry).

My honest advice would be to ask around at your barn and among your riding friends. If anyone will let you borrow a bit or different type of apparatus for a week or two, try them on her. In that way, you may try something that you never thought of which could work, and you can try many things without having to keep buying them just to find out whether they work. In my experience, as long as you take care of things, people are generally willing to let you borrow. Someone who has used different bits and tack can also give you advice on how to attach them and use them, maybe particularly with your horse.

You could try a different noseband before a new bit, depending on your current noseband.. you would be suprised how well they can work on a keen horse. :)

newrider.com