Help needed on BD Into B

raingodz

Aug 8, 2005
Sheffield, UK
www.learning-to-ride.co.uk
I am doing my first ODE on sunday, and I need to ride BD Intro B as the dressage test. There is one instruction I am not sure about, so I was wondering if anyone on here could describe how you would ride this correctly:

A: Circle right 20 metres and allow the horse to
stretch taking up the reins before returning to A

Many thanks for any help!

From memory when i did that test you basically let the horse have its head on a longer rein and then gather up before A

I am doing my first ODE on sunday, and I need to ride BD Intro B as the dressage test. There is one instruction I am not sure about, so I was wondering if anyone on here could describe how you would ride this correctly:

A: Circle right 20 metres and allow the horse to
stretch taking up the reins before returning to A

Many thanks for any help!

You need to gradually give the reins just after A (upon commencing the circle) and allow the horse to stretch - what they are looking for is the horse maintaining the rhythm and contact, but stretching down and covering more ground - basically, the horse mustn't fall to pieces or run off when you let go. I may have a video somewhere of me riding this movement, not in that test, but in a prelim. I'll have a look and post it if I have.

I have done this test three times now, and have been marked down each time on that part of test! My score sheet always says 'no stretch shown'. Even though I give the reins, the horse I was riding doesn't stretch down so I am just riding on a long rein, which apparently isn't what is being looked for. Others I've watched get the horse to really stretch his or her neck out while maintaining the rhythm.
Don't suppose that negative experience adds much!

Me too Sophie. I don't really know how to get him to do it, and tbh we need to concentrate on getting the circle right - I can't think of everything at once!!:banghead:

Good luck on your ODE raingodz. And have fun. I hope to do one next year.

newrider.com