Help Need Someone To "cob" My Horses Tail!!!

coyote

Nelly's Mum.
May 2, 2007
Land of Yellow Bellies
Is there such a person,Nelly will need his tail pulling, plucking ,cutting, for "cob" classes ,i havent the faintest idea what im doing regarding pulling tails,i have seen mentioned on here that someone can "cob" a horses tail??? any clues??? HELP!!!:eek::D

Never heard of "cobbing" a tail :confused:. Do you mean "hog"? Manes are hogged (i.e. clipped off) and as far as I know tails are clipped along the dock if they're not pulled (looks great if done by someone who knows how). Never heard another term for doing things with tails, except for when they are "banged" by trimming the ends. :confused:

yes it is "cob" as he is a cob,it is when it is specially done,thinned ,pulled and ready for showing,i have shown him traditional all this season and next season he will have to be hogged,feathers clipped off and tail pulled trimmed thinned for cob classes,as he will be 4yrs old.so i want a proffessional to do it,as ive never done it before.:rolleyes:

I would try your local tack shops, and at your local riding club. Do you remember anybody having a very nice pulled tail? Get hold of them and ask them to come and do it, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you paid a bit.

Oh and Sez, you're right, just means pulled and banged. ;)

Learn something new every day :D

Have you tried looking around your local tack and feed stores? I've noticed, as winter is approaching, a vast number of adverts for people who will clip, pull manes, etc. Or do you have an RI or anyone on your yard who does it for their own horses?

Learn something new every day :D

Have you tried looking around your local tack and feed stores? I've noticed, as winter is approaching, a vast number of adverts for people who will clip, pull manes, etc. Or do you have an RI or anyone on your yard who does it for their own horses?

I am a RI and i have my own private yard,i have had horses for 31 yrs but i always had t/b types so i just plaited both mane and tail,i have shown at county level before but with my coloured so he was kept traditional,my current horse is black with white stockings,so has been shown traditional whilst a youngster but next season when he is 4yrs old he will have to be shown as a show cob,so he has to be in show "cob" condition,pulled tail,clipped feathers and be hogged,all of which i can do but i want his tail to be as proffessional as possible,i dont want to mess it up and im unsure how much thinning is required.:rolleyes:

If he's anything like our cobs it will take a lot of thinning.

Basically to make it look right you have to remove large qualitites from the dock because cobs have such full tails.

Not something to do the day before a show, it needs doing in small quantities over several weeks otherwise you will end up with it sore and even bleeding. And then it usually needs redoing every couple of weeks so expensive if you are paying someone.

Our warmbloods tail is a doddle compaired to a cob.

I hate shaved tails although I know some people do it.

If I'm really stuck, as in decide to do a show the night before, I sometimes cheat. Clip the sides of the dock and just tidy the centre, you cant really tell from a distance and it looks better than shaved IMO.

You need to find a cob person to do it properly. When we started out I tried a couple of people who advertise show preparation and they didn't know where to start, was not at all happy with the results.

rtk,thats it your right,his tail is 2ft wide!!!:eek: VERY VERY thick,this is why i want someone else to do it.:eek: as he has been shown tradtional its been left to grow and just a very small snip at the bottom to neaten it up for a show.:D

Here is a picture of him as he is now.

Image011.jpg

Wow he a beauty, seems almost a shame to turn him into a show cob but there are more classes. I bet you do well with him :D

Found a pic of a cob tail (not one thats been done) and this guy is in his 30's so its thinned out a bit from what it used to be :D

71bccdb9.jpg

hes only part bred welsh so he doesnt get highly placed in M&M classes but he has won 25 rossettes and 4 trophys and a medal this season (his 1st season) in 9 shows : 7 1st's , 5 2nds , 3 3rds , 2 4th's , 5 5th's , 2 6th's and a special.

newrider.com