Help - my new saddle is torturing me!!

paris123

Jan 3, 2011
my lovely new saddle is beating me up, i have massive bruises on the backs of the top of calves where as i'm so long in the leg the bottom of the saddle flaps are rubbing on my calves and they are also getting bent up and wrinkled!

I've also got bruises on my inner thigh from the buckle of my stirrup leathers pressing through the skirts???

What on earth can i do? :help:

Maybe some sort of seat saver that had the little skirt covery bits in (technical i know!!) may help a little bit with the stirrup bar problem and save your thighs!!

Are you riding in long boots? I find that used to be a problem at the RS as my boots would get caught on the flaps and cause them to pinch and curl up.

As for the stirrup buckles, what about if you pull them down a bit?

Maybe try turning your leathers upside down (so the buckle is down by the stirrup) and securing the extra strap with a plaiting band, or invest in some webbers.

I've also got bruises on my inner thigh from the buckle of my stirrup leathers pressing through the skirts???

I've had this problem but it only happened when I put the stirrup leather through the keeper on the saddle. This meant that the leather was kinda twisted and lumpy by the buckle area.
Try without feeding the leather through the keeper ?

Just an aside I never let any pupils ride with the spare leather through the 'keeper' (actually is historically a surcingle loop intended for a very different purpose ).

Imagine you fall off and trap your foot in the stirrup. Pull sharply back to mimic this and see what happens with loose ends and the end fed through these loops.

Basically the saddle does not fit you, your saddler should have checked this as well as checking it fitted the horse.

Just an aside I never let any pupils ride with the spare leather through the 'keeper' (actually is historically a surcingle loop intended for a very different purpose ).

Imagine you fall off and trap your foot in the stirrup. Pull sharply back to mimic this and see what happens with loose ends and the end fed through these loops.

Basically the saddle does not fit you, your saddler should have checked this as well as checking it fitted the horse.

Eml think she is 5"6 on a smallish pony so not a lot of choice... Was under impression saddler was coming out to fit current saddle.

We find with out RS saddles (mainly Thorowgoods) you need a lot of strength to pull off a stirrup if the end is threaded through the loop. I personally want a stirrup to detached immediately not after the rider has been dragged!

For tall people on smaller ponies find a short and flattish seated dressage saddle is often a good option, I am 5'7 and can easily ride in a 16" older style Thorowgood dressage but not the GP of that size.

100% agree. :)

I hate stirrup leathers in 'keepers'!

I will no longer be putting the strirrup through the keepers! The problem is that the flapping strap annoys me. Maybe a plaiting band on the stirrup leather would do a good job of stopping the flapping.

Back to the original question, Bailey has a different type of stirrup leather which doesn't have a buckle. It feels so much nicer to ride with. They are really hard to describe but basically have a loop at the top which goes onto the stirrup bar, and then you adjust the length of the stirrups on the actual leathers (which are not made of leather) with a little hook. Hopefully someone can come up with the name of these!

I will no longer be putting the strirrup through the keepers! The problem is that the flapping strap annoys me. Maybe a plaiting band on the stirrup leather would do a good job of stopping the flapping.

Back to the original question, Bailey has a different type of stirrup leather which doesn't have a buckle. It feels so much nicer to ride with. They are really hard to describe but basically have a loop at the top which goes onto the stirrup bar, and then you adjust the length of the stirrups on the actual leathers (which are not made of leather) with a little hook. Hopefully someone can come up with the name of these!

T-bar webbers. (shudder)

Only a quick reply as I'm on my blackberry!

I don't put the spare leather through the keeper as it pushes skirt up even more, I think ill just have to pull the buckle down slightly.....

I figured that when I bring my leg slightly back to ask for something I also have to bring it up slightly and the bruising is from my skin getting pinches between boots and flap. I ride in ariat windermeres so may have to invest in some shorter boots. I haven't tried in my long leather show boots yet but I couldn't wear them hacking anyways!

Still can't get hold of the rep for southwest to find a saddler I'm going to email saddle company again today, I have messaged poohsmate aswell but obviously he's not been on recently.

This

This

100% agree.

I hate stirrup leathers in 'keepers'!

and this

T-bar webbers. (shudder)

Only a quick reply as I'm on my blackberry!

I don't put the spare leather through the keeper as it pushes skirt up even more, I think ill just have to pull the buckle down slightly.....

I figured that when I bring my leg slightly back to ask for something I also have to bring it up slightly and the bruising is from my skin getting pinches between boots and flap. I ride in ariat windermeres so may have to invest in some shorter boots. I haven't tried in my long leather show boots yet but I couldn't wear them hacking anyways!

Still can't get hold of the rep for southwest to find a saddler I'm going to email saddle company again today, I have messaged poohsmate aswell but obviously he's not been on recently.

He is in SA for a while I think...maybe a few months....

newrider.com