Help me make up my mind!

Caz&Irena

Formerly Gillian
Mar 3, 2000
UK
Visit site
I posted a thread here a couple of weeks ago regarding moving my horse to a new yard after being on the same one for 14 years. I'm due to move soon but am now getting cold feet! As usual there are pros and cons for each yard but this is the gist of the dilemma:

current yard is good for me as it has 2 floodlit menages so I can ride in the evenings, livery service and a good sized tack and feed room shared with one other, but the horses run in a single sex herd

the new yard is good for my horse because she will have her own paddock. Not so good for me though as it is isolated, menage has no lights so no riding after dark, you have to start up a generator to have lighting in the stables and on the yard. I will have to share a feed room with 13 others and a tack room with 5 others which is going to be very tight.

Basically I'm torn between keeping her safe in her own paddock (at the new yard) and liking where I am at the moment. She has always been streetwise in the herd and tends to keep out of trouble but earlier on in the year I saw a horse kicked so badly by a new mare that her leg was broken in 3 places and she had to be put down which has really unsettled me. My friends think the other yard isn't as good as the one I'm on now but also think that the herd situation is dangerous! What are your views? Am I being over protective by taking her out of a herd situation? Do your horses run in a herd or are they in individual paddocks? Help!! Caz x

If your horse isnt especially bullied or picked on where they are, I would be very tempted to stay put. Horrible accidents can and do happen in the field, but normally where a horse is introduced or something happens to upset the heierarchy or where there is a horse in the pack that is always horrid to some of the others.

I say this even tho my own horse got kicked badly to the extent I had to take her out of her original herd, but I did then have her in with other horses after that, just not the evil one who was kicking her almost daily causing open wounds!

Horses need to be with horses, we've just moved to our own place and thats meant my two are separate as my gelding isnt happy with anything in his field and never has been, but I am planning to get some sheep as company for my mare as grooming him over the fence is not the same as having something in the field with her.

good luck whatever you decide.....

I wouldn't even contemplate moving. If there were distinct advantages, yes, but it sounds a lot more like hard work at the new yard, what with no lighting etc. Your horse is already established at your current yard so I doubt whether she's likely to be the victim of any agression. Good luck whatever you decide:)

I wouldn't consider moving because I wouldn't keep my horse in a paddock on her own - I'd rather risk a few knocks and kicks than take her away from equine company.

Last edited:
Can;t you get your current yard owners into the 21st century and get some electric fence up? At least to seperate the boys from the girls?

I too would stay at the current yard! Horses are herd animals and I would much rather keep mine in a herd & happy than on his own! Accidents always happen but I would not use one terrible accident, in 14 years, be your reason for moving! Especially as the new yard does not have as good facilities, I'd sounds as if it will not be an improvement for you or your horse!
Xx

I can totally understand your feelings, it must have been very upsetting, but personally,I wouldn't move. I much prefer horses in a herd situation even though there is more risk of injury.Also the yard you are on sounds great and the new yard would pobably be frustrating in that you couldn't ride in the evenings which at least would give your horse something to occupy her after being alone the rest of the time.
For myself, I wouldn't keep mine alone, better to have 5 happy years that 20 injury free lonely ones. Keeping horses in a herd does require more thought when introducing a new horse and watching the dynamics of the herd, so if your current yard is usually good at ensuring horses together get on well and make provision for those that clash, then I'd be happy to stay, but if they are all bunged in without a thought, then I'd look for another yard with better management, but still with company. Good luck with whatever you decide,can completely relate to you wanting to keep your horse safe, but remember to keep her (and you ) happy too.

I'm confused by one thing in the OP - if you've been at the same yard for 14 years then things must have been going ok for a long time - so what's changed to make you think your horse isn't safe now? One bad accident in all that time is pretty good odds really!

Is it something you can talk to YO about - eg. splitting the herd into 2 or 3 smaller groups?

I'd also stay at the current yard. The facilities sound fantastic and although accidents happen, horses are herd animals. If she has been living in a herd environment for 14 years she may also find the move to a solitary paddock unsettling.
It's only natural for you to worry about her but as ANN H said, she's been there a while so will probably have made more friends than enemies.
In answer to your question, where I work all the horses live in a herd and injuries are rare. Accidents do happen but the stimulation of living in a herd may be more beneficial mentally than we first realise. :)
Whatever you decide I hope it works for the best x

Thank you for all your replies it seems that the overall view is to stay! Just to clear up any grey areas in my post though:

molly34 I wouldn't consider moving because I wouldn't keep my horse in a paddock on her own - I'd rather risk a few knocks and kicks than take her away from equine company.

Although she would have her own paddock in the new yard there would be other horses in paddocks either side.

snopuma Can;t you get your current yard owners into the 21st century and get some electric fence up? At least to seperate the boys from the girls?

They are in two different fields one for mares and one for geldings. There are around 20+ mares together in the herd.

molly34 I'm confused by one thing in the OP - if you've been at the same yard for 14 years then things must have been going ok for a long time - so what's changed to make you think your horse isn't safe now? One bad accident in all that time is pretty good odds really!

Is it something you can talk to YO about - eg. splitting the herd into 2 or 3 smaller groups?

I could try to talk to the yard owner but in all the years we have been there the herd has never been split into smaller groups. It was just seeing an established mare being practically kicked to death by a new mare that has brought home what could happen. It kicked another mare too, which has been box rested now since February because the injury was so bad. Admittedly that horse has left so at least it isn't around now but it has unnerved me. There have been quite a few injuries over the years due to kicks in the field. Plus the fact, when I have to bring my girl in sometimes the other horses start crowding around the gate kicking out at each other and it is a bit hairy getting through.

My friend thought the situation in the fields was downright dangerous, especially when one of the mares stampeded towards us with ears flat back and we didn't even have my mare at that time! She has always had her horse in a paddock of his own however so is biased:)

Thank you once again, it has given me a lot to think about. I will let you know what I decide. Caz xx

Last edited:
personally i prefered individual or very small group turnouts

yes its more natural for them to be in heards yadda yadda but - so much more risk at horses being injured

tbh i wouldnt move the yard you were going to - id look for somewhere else- or ask your current yard owner to put up leccie fencing - or your own paddock etc.....

I don't think I would move. I used to be on a yard with a generator and it was horrible! I would kill for a yard like the one you are leaving. My mare has just gone from a yard with buddies in her filed to individual turn out horses either side. She hates it she is desperate to be with the others. Stands there very fed up.
I agree with horses she ould horses but also keeping them safe. Is there no way that the mares can be divided in half even?

newrider.com