HELP! I jumped Jess today but..........

Flony_Pony

Apr 20, 2007
Milton Keynes, Bucks
OK Jess is just turned 5, i am turning her away at the end of september. I've had her 2 and half years and i sent her away for 2 weeks to be broken (after id backed her) Well we have had out ups (literally) and our downs (only 2 falls!) but i thought id cracked it! I have been having lessons on her and she had changed into a different pony!

Well i had a lesson this morning and she was a bit stroppy, we started to trot and she napped at the gate (my school is electric fence that isnt on - big posts) and jumped out totally trashing the fence galloping across my field cause its stuck in her legs. Well she was fine i rode her back into the school and started walking round while my poor insructor put the fence back the best she could - jess had broken most of the fence posts.

She was really strong and kept leaping the poles any ideas how to stop this?

Don't quote me on this as am by no means an expert, but I think maybe you should take things down a peg, as it sounds to me like she is getting in over her head.

Try asking yourself:

- How much is she working?
- Is she happy with her tack e.g correct bit
- Obvious tack teeth checks
- Is there anything I am doing e.g cantering that could be upsetting her?

Why don't you try lunging/free schooling before you ride? try and get any excess energy out of her then just sit on her for a bit, get her listening to you, then end on a happy note :)

Good luck hun :) xxx

Hi Fat Pony,

I have stopped doing anything hard, we dont jump at all at the moment as she just couldn't cope with it!

She works 6 days out of 7, she hacks for an hour, lunges for 25mins or schools for 35/45 mins each time. He saddle has recently been checked with no problems found, teeth are up to date and she normally goes nicely in her bit.

The only thing that is upsetting her is the trot poles that were spread round the school. They have been there for a few weeks to try and get her to ignore them and just take them in her stride which she has got better with!!

As for lunging she is WORSE on the lunge than when i ride her and runs off alot on the lunge - she also likes to rear when she napps! and as for free schooling she jumps straight out the school!!

Just at a bit of a lose end that if she hasnt changed after iv turned her away i will have to consider selling her!

this sounds alot of work for a youngster it will make her sour.

try 3-4 rides a week and give her plenty of days off. variety. take her for inhand walk and the next day school her for 20 mins.

keep sessions short. max 20-30mins.

Anneli x:)

My instructor told me to work her 6 days out of 7 at that amount cause she needs to stay fit! I'm turning her away at the end of september, the stupid thing is she really enjoys working and is lovely to ride when she behaves!

i do think thats alot for a youngster to be doing. if shes being turned away then she will get unfit anyway so her fitness wouldnt bother me that much.

your routine sounds quite fixed aswell, maybe she would benefit from some variation.

She is due to do a 10 mile endurance ride mid september so she needs to stay fit atm. She gets lots of variation and i am pretty sure she isnt bored with her work and she is generally very sweet and is very honest

newrider.com