help !! horse size ?

caitlinhr

Aug 8, 2016
hi everyone, I've been looking at loans recently and I've found one I really like the look of !! the only problem is that he's 17.2hh and I'm only 5foot2.5 :// what do I do ? he's also only five y/o so I'm not sure if I'd be over-horsed, any advice ?? thank you.

You might look a bit small on him but it's how you feel that matters. What's his history? Does the owner think he'd be suitable for you?

I've been riding for ten years and I am quite used to riding strong horses after schooling a heavy draught horse that bolted towards jumps, I've just never ridden one that tall

Is it a full loan or part loan? Ie if it's one where the horse remains at current yard then I'd give it a go. My friend is around your height and has an 18.1h

he's on part loan, he looks very well mannered but that's only from the photo. would it be more difficult to ride him seeing as his only five or do you all not think age matters ?

I'm 5'4" and loaned a 17.2 when I was a teen, he was a teen also but his height never bothered me, I prefer smaller horses personally, just because its easier to get on and off :p The only way you will know is to try, the age is the thing more likely to overhorse anyone, a 5yo is very different to a pushey/strong/not perfectly behaved 8/10/12/15 year old, they can just be more unpredictable or not understand which can make riding them more of a challenge.

I'm 5ft 2 and slight built as well, and my last horse Sam was 16.2hh ID cobby cross type and I looked like a pea on a drum on him... but felt like I was in a huge safe armchair haha. He knew the drill as he was an ex huntmaster's horse and was around 18 years old when I started riding him properly when I outgrew my other horses.
I wouldn't have wanted much bigger than Sam...just general day to day tasks such as putting his rug on was harder with his size for me personally.

For the horse I've just bought, I was looking for around 15.2hh at the most, as I felt I didn't want something so big as Sam again... around 8 years old. So not too old, but has seen/experienced most things so likely to be a bit more steady.

However I ended up buying a 14.3hh 5 year old, based on his personality etc. He's much smaller than I expected to buy but he feels perfect for me (plus I think he has an inch or two more to grow).

Personally, I'd be a bit nervous of a young PLUS huge horse... one or the other would be my choice! But it depends on the horse, as a gentle giant is safer than a small idiot lol. You're just going to have to go with an open mind and a clear idea of what you feel you want in a horse, and take it from there.

xx

You just have to get on and see how you feel on him. So much depends on conformation, temperament & way of going that it's impossible to say without trying him.

Sidetracking, but it's a big hate of mine, bolting is not getting strong or having n brakes. Bolting is running blind & it's a potentially lethal fault, though thankfully very rare. Please don't ever call a horse a bolter unless it genuinely is, it's a label that in many true cases is a death sentence.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I was recently offered a one day per week share similar to this. Pure bred shire, 18hh and 5 years old; I am 5ft! He was the biggest horse I have ever ridden and incredibly comfortable, he had a sitting trot to die for - like sitting in an armchair as a couple of people above have said. I did feel incredibly safe on him but turned him down because of:

1. I would have been largely on my own with him as opposed to a yard with lots of help if you need it. I simply could not even tack him up on my own. With such a huge boy I was reluctant to stand on a stool to tack up just in case his big bum knocked me over accidentally. Too risky! I felt I could not properly care for him to the extent he would need due to my lack of height, which I felt was unfair on him.

2. Even though he felt as safe as safe can be, he had (as young horses often do) some things that needed working on. In the school he napped and when he did it was a huge effort to actually move him on. I worried that if out on a hack and he napped that this could potentially be dangerous, depending where he decided to nap, as he was not as easy to move on as a smaller horse. I felt he needed taking back and going over this with someone more capable of doing so with him. He also planted his feet when not wanting to come out of the field, and again I could not physically move him due to his size. Again something I felt I may not have been able to work on with him. He also had a bad habit of head throwing with a tighter rein (I have soft hands so he didn't do this much) but when he did throw his head as I wanted to see just how much he would do this, for example when asking for a sudden halt when out on a hack, he easily looked and felt more than his 18hh with the height he threw it, which for me was not comfortable.

Its personal preference as to how you feel on him, but I would also bear in mind things like if you might need a hand putting a rug on him, are there people around who could help? That's a huge factor as to what put me off. A shame as he was gorgeous and a real gentle giant. A few hands smaller however I have found much more manageable for my height; my share is 16.2 and chunky and this feels about right. I do also ride a 13.3 though and love him just as much. One of the perks of being so little I suppose is that we can also ride the little ones!

newrider.com