Help!! Having a bit dilema

mellow246

Oct 17, 2007
Blackpool, Lancs
Hi
I have got a 13hh fell pony who is currently in an happymouth eggbutt snaffle. We are having a few problems at the moment with her when being ridden. I am an experianced rider and quite strong so i can pull her up and make her do, however the young girl who has her on part loan is very slight and cannot stop her from tanking off down the paddock.

We need a better bit for the pony as brakes are a problem she is 8 years old (and as I said still in a happy mouth) but dont want her mouth spoiling by having a 10 year old pulling on a harsh bit, what should I do!

I tried a wilkie snaffle and she went much better but these are not allowed in some novice classes.

Any advice would be much appriciated, sorry to go on so long
Thanks.

She does not have hard feed at all. She is also really hard to get going until she decides she is not going to do something. Most of the time i spend riding I feel like i am riding a thelwell pony and constantly kicking to get her going as soon as you take your leg off she is back in walk.

This is another reason i am stuck as to what bit to use. I tried a hanging cheek snaffle at weekend and ended up putting her back in her baby bit today as she wont accept a contact in anything else.

Am rapidly running out of ideas now!

How about an alternative strategy? Do some work with the pony to teach her to stop through lateral flexions (if you do a search on here for "one rein stop" you should get detailed instructions and step by step). It's more used by western trainers, but once the horse understands, even a light rider should be able to stop the pony effectively :) I am not big and strong but can stop my 16.2 in a sidepull bridle by asking him to flex to a stop. It's good for pony too, helps to get them nice and light and responsive for all sorts of lateral work, shoulder-in, leg yield etc. :) IF it works, you don't have to change the bit you're happy with at all.

For a Dales X that would just tank (because she could!) we used a Pelham with 2 reins but knotted the curb rein and it just sat there on the neck unless needed - snaffle all the rest of the time.

In fact it has never been needed as pony realised not to take the whatsit with the Pelham and therefore hasnt tried it on since. Which is then a virtuous circle for the riders confidence. :)

This will work only if the rider is old enough and good enough to understand that in the event they need to call on the Pelham, they DONT jab in the mouth but use it progressively.:eek:

Just a thought to help nip it in the bud, agree fully with the long term answer being obedience and schooling.:)

newrider.com