Help - good traveller to bad??

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
My horse always travelled in the right hand side of the trailer without problem - alone or in company. Then for one journey I put him in the left hand side (other horse travelled better on right and as far as I assumed Alfie is happy on either - prev. owner had a wagon so never tried). However it was disasterous and he scrabbled around all the way there and back, pulling a shoe and injuring himself.
Since then, he can't travel in either side without falling on every bend!

Help :(

Last edited:
Just looked on another forum (sorry :eek:) ''The second could only travel in the RHS, she would fall over as soon as the trailer moved if you put her in the left side. I think she leaned on the moving partition and panicked whereas on the right side it was the solid wall.'' Might explain why yours wasnt good on the other side?

'm not quite sure whether you are asking for advice/ideas :confused:

But maybe now he is falling on the bends as he panics and no longer feels secure. Maybe put him on the right hand side and have the breach/breast bars so they are closer to him.

Then go for a short drive very very slowly with not too many turns or roundabouts :eek::D

I guess something scared him so back to basics a little so he can re establish balance and safety/security of his trailer :)

We found this weekend my horse prefers to 'sit' on the breach bar and the haynet tied to the ring at front of trailer, with some string tying the bottom of the haynet to the ring he is tied to so he can sit back and still reach his net :rolleyes::D

My guess is he just needs to get his confidence back. There is obviously not a problem with the right hand side as he has done it before.

I would take the partition out, buy a full length breast bar if necessary and try that.

Most horses travelling like this will find the best position for themselves. When he has settled try the partition again.

I have found that more room, not less increases their confidence.

newrider.com