help finding the right energiser for my electric fence please!!

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Right my energiser seems to have stopped working, and ponies seem to have quickly realised this :rolleyes: im not quite sure why i keep putting the fencing back up for them to rip it down again but anyway... I need a new one! So can anyone recommend one that will power approximately 500m of fence please and that is good value for money but will last and be reliable?? It will need to have a strong zap to deter them!!
Any help gratefully recieved!!

hmmm never mind - OH has just tested the energiser on his car bettery and assures me it is working :eek: :eek: so apparently its my battery which says it is not recharging after all! Thanks anyway!

Oh well :D hope OH isn't to mad it was working after all ;)
Just a tip, if it runs off a car battery, try stopping in a local garage and ask them for a couple of old ones - normally when they don't have enough juice to start a car they will still have plenty to zap a pony or two ;) normally they will give them to you for nothing (it costs the garage to dispose of them) and then you can afford to get a couple so you can charge one while using the other and keep them on rotation :D I used to work in a garage and once people caught on we used to hold on to any half decent ones for when they came in for a new one (they do die totally eventually) :D

We get our car batteries from a garage, he has loads he has taken from write off, it cost a lot to dump old batteries so he's quite happy to give them to us!

Nothing wrong with them.

I just used one to clip 2 ponies! Powers the leccy fence no bother. Ask around at some garages! you might pick up a barg.

hmmm well its a mystery.....battery works, energiser works, fence not zapping well :confused: its powering about 250m of good tape with one join and should be strong enough to power 4km....any ideas :confused:

sorry MrDCBags, not too technically minded!! Its not touching anything else the energiser has a earth stake thingy - can't you tell OH is outside now and all my technical knowlegde has gone with him :rolleyes:

Its a single piece of tape that threaded through the top clip of posts and joins again with a gate handle. The bottom strand of tape is not electric. I have had to tie it together at one point but have never had a problem doing that before.

Is that the right answer?? :p

Its a single piece of tape that threaded through the top clip of posts and joins again with a gate handle. The bottom strand of tape is not electric. I have had to tie it together at one point but have never had a problem doing that before.

Is that the right answer?? :p

Not sure but I like it!!!

I had probs with my fence building and sort of perfected it in the end. OH now starts to tremble if you so much as say electric and fence in the same breath, he loathes it because it means lots of walking,swearing and ultimately he is my TESTER!!!!!

my successful fences ran on this premise.

Use the string not tape as it does not stretch, go baggy, get blown out of posts etc.

Run 2 SEPARATE lines down the fence. I did top and probably three or four hooks down.

Attach first line and then run down posts and tie off at other end making sure ends touch nothing!!

Then run the second line down (ensuring good tension in both) and secure off as before.

****hope u not asleep yet!***

I then used a connector wire that attached to both bits of fence. It was up near energiser end. Hooked the energiser into the top bit of tape.

Then called to OH to test!! 99/100 OH leapt out of skin whilst simultaneously screaming in pain!!!!

Hope that helsp- if not sorry for boringness of reply!!!

newrider.com