Help choosing right job

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
Last year I left a job of ten years service to one which was a step up and where I thought id progress

Despite working 11 hours some days I couldn't make it work and I quit on verge of a breakdown as I wasn't sleeping at all due to anxiety and stress

I was planning on taking a break to refresh myself but got a temp job almost straight away

Now I've been offered three permanent jobs and I'm really scared that I'll pick wrong one and mess up again. I feel I've been really honest this time about my need for support etc

But still can't decide :-(

Any words of wisdom?
:)

My last job was quite stressful however I enjoyed the work and was part of a good team. The two things that really got me in the end and made me want to leave were the poor management and poor pay.

It is really difficult to know what a job is going to be like until you are in there doing it. I don't think there is anything wrong with being in a stressful job so long as you have a good support network (in and out of work) and a good way to unwind. I suppose you need to ask as many questions as possible to find out how things in the company really work (interview them as much as they'd interview you:giggle:). Try googling the company, there are a couple of sites that may tell you what working with them is like (my old one has some rather awful reviews). At the end of the day I think you will have to take a leap of faith and be prepared to shout out if things get too tough. Go with your gut.

Any chance you can do a weeks or a day even trial at any of them? So you can see how you like the feel of everything.

There is a school of thought that people leave bad managers, not companies so I would really make sure you know who you would be reporting to and that you can get along with them on a work front.

I left my previous role after making director, and was set on finding something part time so I could study for my degree and masters and have a career change. However, I got a top job with a top local employer and decided to give up on the dream of part time. However, a year in and I can see sense in why I wanted part time, so stick with what you want and let your choice fit that idea.

There is a school of thought that people leave bad managers, not companies so I would really make sure you know who you would be reporting to and that you can get along with them on a work front.

Definitely! I have to say, the times I have enjoyed my jobs most, no matter how stressful or difficult they have been, have been when I have had a good manager! I think they can make or break a job really.

Thanks for taking time to reply

The temp job I'm in is one of the offers I've had but in a different office and role too so will be quite different

I think I'm not cut out to do it even though on paper I can

The company I'm with now is a massive firm (solicitors) with a commercial focus and i can't see why they'd want me tbh. As my background is with small high street firms

Dont put yourself down helen, they obviously have confidence in you, even if you dont. If you are temping and they want to keep you, you must be a good worker and someone they want to retain... :wink:

I was head hunted once to a major international oil company (during my previous incarnation as an accountant!!). I realised within three weeks I had made a serious mistake and hated every moment ( basically had no real work to do which is far more stressful then it sounds). Within a week my immediate manager had left and I was left to do his job..still not a great deal.

After six months I was again head hunted by an other company where I spent a very busy and happy 10 years.

On paper the first job should have been everything I wanted and the second an escape stopgap. The difference was that in the second job I was allowed to develop my role as I wanted , in the first I was tied up in a restrictive job description doing meaningless work.

It is the people you work with and the company ethos that are important not job description!

newrider.com