lauraandharvey

Jan 10, 2008
wombwell
i need a bit that is snaffle based (i.e. dressage legal) for a strong welsh D
have tried

eggbutt snaffle
hanging cheek
D ring snaffle

any reccomendations please willing to try anything!
x

I've just started using a Neue Schule Team Up bit (loose ring snaffle and dressage legal). I'm not sure why such a gentle bit works on my strong horse, but it does!

Most likely NOT and even then most folks cant tell a DB from a french link when its in the horses mouth. ;)

Not much point in risking it though! The last thing you want is to be eliminated after a fantastic performance which you could otherwise win with :)

Some people swear by the Myler comfort snaffle (the dressage legal one) for brakes. Good old Mrs P has an opinion on that one though - I had no brakes at all when I tried her in one :rolleyes: So if you'd like to try a 6 inch Myler, you know who to ask :eek:

Why not try a very thin single joint loose ring snaffle?

If some of the problem is that he doesn't have a lot of room in his mouth (lots of natives don't) then, as long as you've got decent hands, he may be happier with a thin bit.

A thin mouthpiece tends to discourage leaning or pulling & likewise the loose ring should make it slightly harder to set against. Personally I find they tend to back off a single joint more than a double joint.

Having said all that are you sure that he's genuinely being strong? I'd hate to up his bitting if the problem is a lack of balance means he's looking for support.

so are you just looking for a sronger snaffle? if not, i would definitley recommend pelhams, worked a reat for mine and she has very little room in her mouth, very strong in a snaffle (tho we still hack on our own and school in one) and hates poll pressure i.e gags etc. not sure if you can use one at this level of dressage though?:confused:

Why not try a very thin single joint loose ring snaffle?

If some of the problem is that he doesn't have a lot of room in his mouth (lots of natives don't) then, as long as you've got decent hands, he may be happier with a thin bit.

A thin mouthpiece tends to discourage leaning or pulling & likewise the loose ring should make it slightly harder to set against. Personally I find they tend to back off a single joint more than a double joint.

Having said all that are you sure that he's genuinely being strong? I'd hate to up his bitting if the problem is a lack of balance means he's looking for support.

Carthorse speaks my mind again!!

CH - are we mind-melded ? :D

Do you have a bit that he goes happily in for schooling at home and is it effectively just a competition bit you need? Or do you need a different bit at home as well?

If you ride a dressage test then obviously the horse should be schooled to be ridden in what is legal. It takes two to pull.... Deaden the mouth at your peril

well i woul school in wht is dressage legal but so far a pelham is what she is happiest in and also the only thing i can control her in, so looks like im gonna have to start looking all over again

this is not my horse.
yes he is balanced
he is very strong i have ridden him, she has tried sending him off for schooling which no one will accept him as hes very strong

she is lookin to get a myler comfort snaffle hanging cheek
anyone had any expiriances x

newrider.com