HELP! Anyone who understands car documents...

alwaysfallingof

Jul 17, 2004
London
Visit site
In my search for a tow car I have come across a nice-looking one on ebay. It's an Isuzu Trooper, 150k miles, K reg (93). I've done an HPi check and it's come back clear but it sounds as though something dodgy might be going on with the logbook.

In the listing it says that he's got the V2C but not the logbook so will give the buyer a V62 as well. Now I thought the V2C WAS the logbook, when I emailed him to ask then he said that he only has the bit which is the V2C (the bottom bit?) and not the whole thing, so I'd need to send that bit off with a V62 to get the full logbook in my name.

I'm SO confused, meant to be going to see it in the morning and need advice. Should I just walk away? It ticks all my other boxes in terms of price, work it's had done (with receipts apparently) etc

I would be a bit suspicious if someone didnt have the full log book? make sure you check out the car fully, if you have the hpi report? then check the vin numbers on the vehicle, the log book AND the hpi report together ;) can you not take anyone with you who knows a little more?

If he literally has the "bottom" bit of the registration document, then that is from the old-style reg doc that the DVLA replaced some years ago with what is now called the V5C. The newer V5Cs are two pages, A4 size, where the first page is the main site with the vehicle keeper's details, and the second page is split into four tear-off sections, called V5C/3, V5C/2, V5C/4 and an info segment. You probably have this kind with a vehicle you have at present.

Now, having the old-style doc is not an offence, just a bit odd. It should have been replaced automatically by the DVLA - you got sent this new style and were told to destroy your old one. If it happens that the car was being sold at the time DVLA were sending out the new replacement docs it is possible that the purchaser back then was only given the bottom portion of that old document. If they didn't, for some bizarre but not impossible reason, never bothered to register the vehicle with DVLA in their own name, then they would only have that bottom section to pass on in another sale. Or, it is possible that the car had been owned by someone who had died and only kept the old-style V2C to be passed on and for some reason the two parts were detached.

I wouldn't be 100% suspicious. I used to work in a garage and occasionally had to send off these old-style docs to register the new owner's details, and there was never a problem. However, for the full story about this one, just ask the vehicle seller! If his story doesn't add up - you could ask for details of the previous owner - then why not just ask your insurance company to run a search on it with regards to previous ownership?

Sounds as though he hasn't had this car too long himself and thats
why he only has the 'new keepers' bit of the log book. He hasn't had
time to send away for the whole thing.

That would 'worry' me slightly, he may have bought this car to 'do up'
to sell on, which is fine as long as its been done properly.

Go see the car see what you think, its not a problem for you to have
to send away for the log book should you buy it.

newrider.com