Help and NR wisdom, wwyd please?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I'm hoping for some good NR wisdom please. We are in the middle of having our arena built and it's like Grand Central Station here with knobs on! The yard is a hive of activity and the main gates are open letting in a variety of tractors and diggers. Tomorrow tons of clean stone will be arriving. Now as some of you know, Storm has been lame with her ddft injury but (touch wood) after the initial box rest is now happy in her maze paddock that Mr T created. She can't get much speed up in there but can roll and seems happy moving about through the tunnels from one tiny paddock to another. Zi is in the largest paddock next to her and Chloe is on the other side. Weather is grand today and so far so good, nobody has hoolied or looked up much! Tomorrow I have to be at the dentist and will be away two hours. Question is: shall I keep them in their stables to observe the comings and goings? Or turn them out early before I leave??? Weather looks set to be okay. I just dread coming home to find either softy Zi in a lather over something or Storm hopping about!! (Anxious horse mom alert here). Or even Chloe trying to escape to the yard (she normally free ranges). Any thoughts pls??????? Wouldn't normally be so anxious, just with her recovering and all that.

Given her history, if they are ok in, I would leave them in for the 2 hours you are out for :) and that coming from the person who rarely if ever stables, but its what your guys are used to and happy with and the last thing you want is any silliness while you aren't there to nip it in the bud.

Ooh, one of each so far ...

Personally I'd go with what Jessey says as I wouldn't be able to settle, imagining them getting upset by the commotion and up to all sorts of shenanigans whilst I was away. That's just my selfish human brain way of thinking though :oops:

Reactions: Trewsers
Truly feeling torn on this. We've a few tons of clean stone arriving tomorrow - don't know exact time and the only place to dump it is going to be right outside her door. Just worried that she'll find that even more upsetting as Zi will be in too and he'll be curious / nosey about it. Hmm. If they are in the fields behind the byre they won't see a thing. Hmm. But then again if Chloe sets everyone off (she has a habit of wanting to leave her paddock for a sleep indoors:rolleyes:) that could spell bother......argh:confused:o_O

Reactions: orbvalley
Honestly? There are pros and cons to both, and you can't change your mind when you've gone, If you're really not sure, toss a coin. If you don't like the way it lands, you know you've made the decision ;)

I'd turn them out, but that's default for me and my horses.

I would put all out especially if there behind and can't see whats going on. If there going to be tipping in the yard right outside the stable. The sheer noise as the stone runs off the back of the lorry could be enough to send the horse up in the stable in a panic. At least if there round the back the noise would be suppressed. Of course it does depend how bombproof your horses are as well with lorries and noise.
My one lad wouldn't bat an eye lid. But the other would. We were trying to tack up the other day and someone turned up with tractor in the yard to spreading road scalpings that had been delivered. I had to try calming him with clicker training whilst the other person with me threw the tack on. Stupid tractor driver knows one horse is frightened severely of tractors, lorries and buses but couldn't be bothered to wait 10 minutes till we had tacked up and gone for our hack. Instead we had front feet coming off the ground whilst being tacking up and I'm stood in front with clicker and treats.

Truly feeling torn on this. We've a few tons of clean stone arriving tomorrow - don't know exact time and the only place to dump it is going to be right outside her door. Just worried that she'll find that even more upsetting as Zi will be in too and he'll be curious / nosey about it. Hmm. If they are in the fields behind the byre they won't see a thing. Hmm. But then again if Chloe sets everyone off (she has a habit of wanting to leave her paddock for a sleep indoors:rolleyes:) that could spell bother......argh:confused:o_O
Hmm now you have said that, I would lean to out too, or changing the dentist appointment :D

Well they are out! It's sunny and I'm hoping a nice breeze will kick in. @Jessey I really didn't want to change my dental thing as it's taken me so long to sort out, and everything (as usual) all happened at once, it was only late last week when I knew they'd come and do the arena. Ah well, we will see.....I'd appreciate any stay safe Storm vibes:D

Reactions: Jessey
image.jpeg Zi was clearly quite traumatised by the sand pyramids they dumped on the yard yesterday! When everyone had gone home last night and the main gate was shut he spent most of the evening "guarding" the sand - think he thought the girls might steal it!

Well I'm back and everyone is still in one piece! Lol goodness me, it must have been praying on Mr T's brain too as last night he had a dream that Zi went lame and shrunk so he wrapped him in tinfoil and drove to the vets, whereby he unwrapped him and he blew back up to full sizeo_O:confused::p:oops::oops:

newrider.com