Help and advice

Jonrobb22

Apr 1, 2020
Thurrock ,Essex U.K.
Hi,
I’m hoping to get some advice,

I used ride a friends pony over 10 years ago, I had no professional education, my friend did teach me to ride. Clearly riding a horse is not like riding a bike , and I have forgotten most of what I knew.

I'm super keen to get back into riding with the end goal being owning my own Horse, I just don’t know where to start, A friend has offered to let me loan one of her horses but she needs re breaking and bringing back into work ,as lovely as she is I feel she might be to much for me as basically a beginner,Obviously whatever steps i take will be after lockdown when this crisis is over!

hope your all doing well in the current crisis and thank you in advance for any advice what ever it may be :)

Thanks
Jon

I think you're right, this is totally the wrong horse to be going for at this point and it would be doing both of you a disservice. Your best bet would be to find a decent riding school and have some lessons until you're up and running again, then look for something suitable. When you do look be careful not to overhorse yourself, having your own is very different to riding a school horse that's used to mistakes, probably gets more work than you'll give one and also has a more experienced rider on if problems start to develop. And above all else enjoy whatever you decide to do, sometimes people get so wrapped up in having to be totally right that they forget it's meant to be fun!

Reactions: Huggy and Jonrobb22
I think you're right, this is totally the wrong horse to be going for at this point and it would be doing both of you a disservice. Your best bet would be to find a decent riding school and have some lessons until you're up and running again, then look for something suitable. When you do look be careful not to overhorse yourself, having your own is very different to riding a school horse that's used to mistakes, probably gets more work than you'll give one and also has a more experienced rider on if problems start to develop. And above all else enjoy whatever you decide to do, sometimes people get so wrapped up in having to be totally right that they forget it's meant to be fun!
Thank you !

I have been looking at some local riding schools, I’m nervous to be at the school and Embarrass myself with lack of knowledge, can’t wait for this crisis to be over so I can get on with it lol!x

Reactions: Huggy
I think you're right about that horse, it doesn't really sound a good match.
I'd agree find yourself a good riding school, have a few private lessons to start if you're worried about getting started in front of a group, but honestly everyone is so caught up worrying about their own lesson that they're not looking at anyone else :)

Reactions: Jonrobb22 and Huggy
You aren't going to embarrass yourself, the job of a riding school is to teach so they'd be in trouble if you knew everything! If it makes you feel better then understate your experience and emphasise the time off, but seriously no-one is going to laugh at you.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Your right, it’s just a weird one... I do just have weird feelings towards riding schools, I did my work experience at one when I was in school (long time ago) ... but it wasn’t the best experience for me but I guess things are different now , will definitely enquire when normality is restored!

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
As all the above - your instincts are right, your friend's horse would have been a big mistake! Riding schools are like any other business - good ones and bad ones. Try a few and you're bound to find one that suits. I lost count if the number I went to, back in the day! Good luck and enjoy!

When things are back to normal maybe keep an eye out for local fb groups and offer your services as a helper on the yard for anyone out there with a horse. Be around them more first so that you get to know horses again. Explain why you are offering help - sometimes this way you get to know more people locally and one of them might have a horse you could share which would be a good way to get into owning. Or simply advertise on groups locally that you are looking for a nice horse to share for a few months to get back into horses. Then once you know more people you will more easily find one to ride. In the meantime you could look into taking a distance learning course on horse care. I work with Lingfield Equine Distance Learning courses which is a bit busy right now naturally, but has courses for all sorts of standards and horsey interests. I don't think there is a waiting list thoug :)

Reactions: Jonrobb22
newrider.com