Help and Advice needed from all you Showjumpers please

Hayleycakes

Ex Racers R the Best
Oct 28, 2008
Robertsbridge, East Sussex
Just wondering if any of you showjumping Pro's could give me a little help or advice on something..

I have a 5 year old mare who in the last few months has been brought back into work after a year off due to feet problems.

I have started to jump her and had a few lessons with a friend /showjumper however she is not very careful, i.e she does not mind knocking the fences it does not seem to bother her. My friend says this is just where she is not completely balanced and young and it will come with time, would you agree???Has any one had any horses like this that have got better with age and time?

I have taken her to a a couple of hunter trials in the last couple of weeks only small ones 2ft 3 and 2ft 6, she jumped around clear but was still clipping the solid fences..... Any opinions or experiences please

Sounds like good advice from your friend - they have to learn by their mistakes - gridwork and trotting poles are quite good, but I expect you are already doing all that:)

id free school her. always use wooden poles. and let her find her own balance etc, it maybe that having a rider on is a bit to much for her to think of at the moment.

newrider.com