Help! Advise needed awkward situation

Befnee's Hero

Jul 1, 2009
Somerset
Ok this is a bit of a long description so sorry for the essay ....

Me and OH keep our horses on a private yard that we rent, but the YO lets his niece keep her pony there. Now his niece admits that she knows not a great deal about horses but has her little 20 year old pony for her 2ish yr old son to potter about on. On the other hand the YO is a locally well known retired breeder of Trakehners, so there is alot of experience in the family.

Any how, the pony they have had for a few years (apparently - we only moved in October/Novermer) and apparently when they got her she had mild laminitis.

Now I'm not saying they're bad horse owners (would never brand people) but they skip days, and don't bother to come down, and just either leave her turned out for days at a time or leave her in her stables for days. We put hay and water in for her when she is in - infact for the entire fortnight of snow this winter we did her as they didn't bother to turn up! (sorry to moan)

So now spring is here and the grass is growing at a phenominal rate, and they leave her turned out in her 2 acre paddock. Then about 3 weeks ago they decide that it would be a fab idea to start packing this pony full of hard feed !! :eek: she get's a huge feed of cool mix and happy hoof. (btw this pony is just hitting 12hh at most!)

Then suprise suprise her feet start getting heat in them and she starts getting sensitive - Oh have forgot to mention - they don't have farrier!! they trim her feet back every 6 months THEMSELVES! (her feet are very over grown in my opinion and I keep 2 of my ponies barefoot!) So as they are worried they bring her into her stable and duct tape pads to her feet so (in their words she has some support) Now these are left on consantly for 2 weeks while she does not leave her stable and is still fed her feed!

Then I come down 4 days ago and they have turned her out!!! They have electric taped a mini paddock in her field (maybe a 20X20 patch) The thing that astounded me is what they hell are they thinking!!????? Yes it's a tiny patch of grass but she has been off it for 2 weeks and it has grown nearly a 1 foot high!!! Oh and they are still feeding her the hard feed ???????? !!!!!

So - and here's why I am anrgy :mad: she is now leaning back, generally looking in pain and lying down alot. I should mention they have never called a vet out to her!!

What can I do ?? I'm getting desperate - I don't want to upset the owner because I don't want to fall out with the YO. They already think we spoil our horses because we go twice a day to them!! I don't want to create an atmosphere because we really can not loose this yard, I can't afford to put them all into livery if they ask us to leave. But I can't sit back and watch this pony suffer any more. The ponies owner already has mine and OH's mobile numbers and we always offer to help - but it's ignored. Please give me some advise because this poor pony is suffering I think? I have never had a pony/ horse with laminitis but have close friends who have.

It's very hard to tell someone that they are hurting their pony?? Even though they admit they are not very knowledgable. Should note that the YO is a long distance lorry driver so is away for months at a time so doesn't know what is happening with his nieces pony.

Seriously sorry for the essay - thanks for reading !! :)

Last edited:
Well at the moment I seem to be the queen of awkward situations so here's what I think I would do. Although granted it's different when you know the people involved and how suseptable they are (or aren't in my case) to being told anything...

I would either:

Catch them while they're down there and say you think the pony has signs of laminitis and that you're very concerned for her - she MUST be in a lot of pain (I would emphasise that if they don't seem to care).

Or if you feel this is not the right route I would contact the YO and say that:
1. You are concerned because said pony has laminitis-like symptoms (and you're fairly certain that's what it is based on what pony has been fed on & turned out with)

and

2. You are concerned about these symptoms but also that she is visited at non-regular hours, and hasn't had farrier for long time, and so it's hard for owners to keep an eye on her - but as you see her twice a day you are concerned and believe a farrier at least should come out to see her. (Do you trim your own or can your farrier take a look & tell owners himself?)

I would stress you are not in anyway trying to interfere or create bad feeling but you are concerned for the horse's welfare - surely anybody who loves horses would not want them to be in any pain. Are they just completely ignorant.

And finally & personally - I think they way they treat & look after her is apalling & they shouldn't be allow to keep her. I'd feel like phoning the RSPCA as if you hadn't been there that poor pony would have had no water for 2 weeks and died in that stable :mad:

Last edited:
:eek::eek:

Have you tried to offer any advice in the past?

:(

Yeah we have offered for her to meet our farrier when he is down or give her his number - we have in passing comments to them (trying not to tell them what to do) advised that maybe a hand full of happy hoof as a treat when they come down would be good, and other little things in the winter, but it's hard when you hardly ever see them because they don't come down to see her!

OH is disabled so spends alot of his day there pottering around with the horses while I'm at work to while away the day, and he never sees them! It's an awkward situation.

If you hardly see them I'd phone the YO.

Surely a respectable YO would not want a suffering pony on their land, niece or not, and would be disappointed to hear no farrier or vet has been contacted ever? Particularly now with signs of lammi.

I'm sure that any half decent YO would see your point and be grateful that you brought this to their attention - you are, after all, only doing the best for the horse.

I'd be tempted to go down the RSPCA route also! This horse is obviously being mistreated and left in pain. Like Roxy's Mum says if you hadnt been there to leave a horse for 2 weeks with no feed and water is inexcusable and they should be prosecuted!!! They dont deserve to have the poor little pony :(

As the YO is a long distance lorry driver I don't know how much he can do at the moment? I will try and get hold of him on his mobile (he's usually somewhere abouts in Europe!) and maybe he can call them? I don't honestly think they will do anything though untill he comes back. Worth a try though. They seem to turn up more when YO is back, but as soon as he is gone they seem to forget the poor pony. OH rang me an hour ago to tell me she had no water and the patch she is in has no shade. Have just read on another post the sun is coming strong this weekend... poor pony is black and will have no shelter from it? - Do you think it is acceptable to bring pony in if she looks too hot?? Don't want owner to freak ? Don't want to move her mini paddock to under a tree because it's obviously really long grass under there, and she has eaten the one she is at the moment down alot! ??

Yes it's very tricky but I see no problem in bringing her in if she's suffering/too hot - remember you're NOT doing anything bad by all of this, you're doing what any other of us horse lovers, and probably what the rest of us on NR, would do. So don't beat yourself up about it!

Heaven forbid things take a turn for the worse for the horse, you'll be forever beating yourself up about what you could have done otherwise (sorry, not trying to make this a guilt trip!)

Do you have a phone number for the owners? Could you get this from YO if he IS away so say you think pony is sick but don't know how to contact owners as you've not seen them for a while.. how you're keeping your cool in all this I don't know.

I don't envy you - but please do something :)

I think I'd go down the welfare route - as in call the sspca or whoever you decide on - you dont have to say who you are and if you dont call the YO now - they hopefully wont suspect it was you.

Call the YO if you seriously think that he will do something to help but otherwise - I'd be tempted to do the above and pretend to know nothing about it when asked!

What an awful situation to be in!! If I were you, yes definately bring the pony in from the sun. I would also try to contact the YO and explain the problem, and if nothing comes of it then the RSPCA is a good route to take.

If you could even offer to the YO that you will care for the pony (provided they pay its costs) as they seem to be struggling to get down to see him. I know that you probably have enough on your plate with your own but if you could spare the time, as you know the pony would benefit enormously. Perhaps tell the YO and/or the owner that laminitis is a crippling condition which causes extreme agony for the pony - tell them to think of the pain when you get a blood blister under your nail, and times it by a million, and then put all your weight on it. Explain to them that if left untreated it can be (and all too often is) a death sentence due to irreversible sinking/rotation of the pedal bones in the foot. By feeding it so much they are literally killing it with kindness, which seems such a stark contrast to their "kindness" in the winter??

Good luck with this one, I know it's not easy! A lady I know has a 2yo welshie which she was, at one point, feeding a full bucket of coarse mix and sugar beet to, twice a day, despite it not leaving its stable at all for weeks and weeks on end. How that pony did not go off its legs laminitis, or simply explode with excess energy, I will never know! This same livery has now turned the horse out to live out, and rarely visits and it gets not a scrap of feed...then she wonders why the weight has fallen off it? She is a nice lady and thinks she is doing the best by her pony, and even when we explained to her that she was killing it with kindness, she still overfed it though admittedly not as badly as before. It's a toughy!!

Ok - so on the advice of all of you - and called OH and we jointly agreed. I have taken the hit and called the rspca. I have called anomously- just have to wait now and hope something is done. I am so glad we have New rider. My hands are shaking so much! Thanks to all for replying. I will keep you posted once inspector has been. She is such an adorable pony, she deserves better.

Ok - so on the advice of all of you - and called OH and we jointly agreed. I have taken the hit and called the rspca. I have called anomously- just have to wait now and hope something is done. I am so glad we have New rider. My hands are shaking so much! Thanks to all for replying. I will keep you posted once inspector has been. She is such an adorable pony, she deserves better.

Good for you, let us know how you get on and hopefully this will be the wake up call these people need

I would contact YO and ask to have the owners number and contact them direct asking would they like you to bring her in oh an while Im on the phone I noticed ...blah blah.

If they say no then you have tried then contact RSPCA

Good for you!!! Not sure what the RSPCA will do, but as Libbylou says I'd contact YO if you can & advise pony is in sun with now shade & suffering for it -and "while I've got you on the phone...." type thing.

Good luck. Let us know what happens (if anything!) :)

Well done again - you've definitely done the right thing.

I really would try and get hold of the YO as well, mention it has no water etc.

They are going to kill this poor pony - i have a laminitic and live on a knife edge wondering if i am doing the right thing!

Im plsd to hear this, if the pony is leaning back and lying down there is some serious damage already going on insides its feet, pedal rotation etc. Im plsd youve rung the RSPCA but im afraid they might not come quick enough. Get your OH to ring aswell, completely "unrelated", 2 reports may help speed things up. Also try ILPH (or what ever their called now) They have a big place in Bristol and may take interst, and whats your local resuce sanctuary, South West Equine Protection and Mare and Foal Sanctuary are mine, you could try ringing them aswell. Unfortuantly you do have to make quiet a stink before things get moving.

What a horrible situation for you to be in. I know exactly how you feel, as we have had employee's horses on livery here before, and they would come down infrequently (once leaving the horses in the stables for 5 days - with just a pile of haylage chucked over the doors twice a day :eek:). Also in the past I have ended up caring for neighbour's pony (and he was a top equine vet), as it was dumped in a field with no feed - I would go down with hay and some pony nuts :mad:

I would definitely get the pony in out of the sun; into a cool stable with water and hay. See what the RSPCA say - but they will need to speak to the owners.

Good luck.

Ali xx

ps The long grass in the mini-paddock will actually be better than short over-grazed grass, but that doesn't excuse the lack of care and attention. The poor pony needs veterinary care immediately.

newrider.com