Help – Mysterious Dent and Scabs

Maggiemooo

Sep 1, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
I have no idea what’s going on, so can anyone help.

Brought Heathcliff in on Wednesday night to work him and whilst grooming noticed that across his rump was a large dent! He was very sore and fidget as I tried to brush this area and I concluded that maybe the boys had been playing around in the field and he had taken a hoof on the rump.

Gave it a good old massage with Arnica Gel which after initial protest he started to enjoy it and seemed to loosen everything up. Didn’t work him, turned him back out and off he trotted, sound.

Brought him in last night to check him over and still very sore, but now it feels as if there is a big nasty scab underneath the dent, skin feels really rough and very sore still.

Again massaged with Arnica and added some Tea-tree Oil and put him back out.

But, now worried about what on earth it could be? I will be shampooing it this evening and will try to get some pictures if there is anything to see.

Anyone any idea’s what it could be guys?

If there is any broken skin at all, please do not use arnica topically. Instead, give him a course of arnica tablets, if it is new bruising/wound use 30c, and if it is old or a chronic condition, use 6c. If you want to use something on the area, and he is ok for you to massage there, you can use some comfrey oil which will also aid healing.

It does sound like a hoof wound, sometimes the boys get ideas above their station with spring grass! I hope your lad is ok, might be worth keeping an eye out for anyone else in the field with similar war wounds and work out who is responsible!

newrider.com