Hello!

Mcemma

Aug 14, 2022
Hi all,

So I’m new to all of this. I have always adored horses and been around them a lot as a youngster. One of my ‘friends’ at school had a pony and I was down the yard a lot around the ages 10-12 . I literally would do anything for little ride. I remember mucking out and poo picking. Endlessly grooming and following her everywhere and I loved every second of it. My friend gave me ‘lessons’ on her pony which always ending with me falling off and her saying that if I couldn’t do simple thingsI shouldn’t be riding. The long and short of it was she was a nasty little girl she always spooked the pony on purpose and took all the credit for everything I did. But I’m not bitter because I had THE best time with all the horses and pony’s in the yard. I got to have a couple of lessons at this yard and the owners let me take an old pony on hacks every now and again so I basically taught myself to walk trot and canter.

I then came across a Shetland and pony which was owned by a lovely lady who meant well but didn’t really have the time to care for him. I remember knocking on her door and asking her if I could groom Charlie. She agreed if I could catch him! A strong little bond formed and went to her house almost everyday and looked after the pony. He was a little bugger but I loved him like my own. Fast forward 20 years.

So I’ve gone on a few paid for hacks at my local riding school over the years and it’s always been a dream to eventually own. I’ve hit 40 this year, been suffering with my mental health of late so decided I would get into riding and do something for me. I’ve had a few riding sessions with a friend and she said she would help me look for a loan to start me off.

So I think Ive found the perfect match. A lady at the local yard is looking for someone to ride their horse two or three days a week while their daughter is at uni. I’ve met her this morning and we think we may go ahead.

I’m not really sure where to start. Can anyone give me some tips? We’re going to do a trial where I meet her at the yard and learn the routines and get to know the horse and for her to get to know me. Then I suppose a contract should be drawn up. I feel excited and worried so any advice for a proper newbie will be welcomed

Thanks for reading a long post!

M x

Hello welcome to NR! My only advice is take it at your own pace, don't try to be adventurous until you know the horse well. Otherwise - good luck, let us know how it goes!

Thank you, I plan to take it very slow. Maybe a bit of ground work for the first week or so to get to know each other. Lovely supportive yard and lots of help so I feel I’m in the best hands ☺️

Reactions: Huggy
Hi! I'd say be guided by the owner,, she knows the horse and also how she likes things done. If you start asking other people and doing things differently you risk annoying her so if there's a difference of opinion between her and someone else do things her way.

I hope it works out and you have lots of fun :)

newrider.com