Hello

Yindee

Sep 15, 2021
I'm new to all this .......
After yearning for a horse since the age of 5 - I fulfilled my dream in May 2021 at the age of 62 and bought a horse.
I first sat on a horse when I was 56 and soon realised my passion had been on the back burner.

My horse is a 6 year old 15.3 Connemara x Irish Draught Dun gelding.

I'd like advice on what to do about his excessive all over shedding.
He also has around 8 small patches (finger nail size) both sides of his rump where he's rubbed against a small bolt on his tack room door.

We know it's not Pin Worm.

Any suggestions as to what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yindee

Reactions: Jessey
Hi and welcome.

When you say excessive shedding. Im not sure what country you are in but if you are in the uk most horses shed there summer coat just now ready for the winter. My two are currently shedding and have been throughout the summer but at the same time they are growing trousers down there back legs now in readiness for winter. In the spring they actually shed there trouser hairs along with all there winter coat. My two are cobs. So it could just be natural shedding they are experiencing which you are not familiar with if still new to horse ownership.

Re the bolt rubbing. I had a light switch in my tack up area attached to a telegraph pole which was at perfect height for my horses to have a scratch on the neck. They use to rub so much on it the lights flashed on and off. I moved the switch up out of there rubbing height and they now dont get the same thrill just rubbing on the telegraph pole.

I would say your horse has just found something that has become a habit and likes to use as an itch spot.
My one horse will also regularly back up to his haynet after a ride for a rub, which is tied in the tack up area. He loves to use it when hes all sweaty. Its just at the perfect height.

OMG a dun connie x RID sounds like my dream horse, please post a picture!

My horse will also rub himself to ridiculous extents on bolts and gate hinges. I try to wrap them to prevent it but he pulls the wrapping off. I'm at a loss!

My cob's rubbing now too - unseasonably warm weather and winter coat coming through. He's broken his door three times, and I've given up putting rugs back on the wall - he just rubs them off again. All I could suggest is putting the bolt out of reach, and see if the rubbing dies down in cooler weather. I used to use D itch by NAF on my old boy's itchy skin.

Can you post a picture of the excessive shedding? Some horses shed more than others. My horse had a very thick coat and every Autumn and Spring I would end up with piles of hair each time I brushed him. The only answer was grooming, grooming and more grooming. But I loved grooming him so it wasn't a problem.

Reactions: carthorse
Welcome

As above it could just be normal, my mob (East Anglia, UK) have all been at it for the past several weeks, and especially my shetland ponies have been really itchy as they now just have too much fluff for the temperatures.

If its uneven shedding, patchy etc. then I'd be mildly more concerned and possibly investigate things like rain rot as those thick coats and sweaty ponies can be a bit prone to it even when there isn't any rain.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com