Hello...new here...

Levigal

Dec 30, 2005
northern Nevada
Just want to say hello. I'm new to the board and new to riding again after a 20 year break. At 40, I just purchased my first horse. He is a 5.5 year old quarter horse named Levi.

Anyway, I'm excited to find a source of support and information. I've only had Levi for one week, and I'm learning all of his little quirks and my areas of weakness in terms of knowledge. I have access to an indoor arena, and I've been getting Levi used to being in there by doing grooming, ground work, and some riding there. I also have an experienced horse friend who is helping me out.

I think Levi is not sure yet if I am the boss or if he is. He is a good natured, positive guy who is quite willing. I think, however, he senses my inexperience and is testing me on some issues. Is anyone else in this situation? I want to do the best for him...keep him willing and sweet. Any advice is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to NR. There are several people in your situation who have posted lately so I'm sure you will get lots of help and support here. Got any pictures of him??

Sounds like you are starting back into it with a great situation - an indoor would be great to have right now! (Of course, you may have milder winters out your way). The ground work is always a great idea, it helps establish the order of things especially if you work on backing him and getting him to step under himself away from you.

Have fun! attach a pic, too. We love to see everyone's horses.

hey, welcome to NewRider. its a great place and you will definatly learn a lot here.
goodluck with the new horse, he sounds like a real sweetie. have you thought about maybe learning parelli's seven games and doing them? it really gives you a great chance to bond, get to know and gain respect and control of your horse.

hiya and welcome!!! newrider is so addictive!!! as you can see by the amount of posts iv done in a month!!!!! levi sounds great, look forward to seeing lots of pics!!!!

welcome

Welcome. I am brand new too. I have a seven year old American Paint boy, and I am forty-three and still pretty new to horses. I've had my buddy for a little over a year and a half - it's been a steep learning curve, and I've slid down it a few times! I'm sure we'll both learn a lot here!

Mattimeo

I can totally relate to what you're saying. However it's a different situation than mine. Horses are very sensitive to your senses and will act the way you're thinking. I hope you and Levi have a very good future together! Keep us updated :)

thanks

Thanks for the thoughtful welcomes! I will post photos of Levi very soon. My photo software is on my computer at work....

Had a great day with Levi yesterday. Did lots of ground work...the Parelli games. I'm focusing on the ground work for a couple of weeks without riding him. Mostly, I need the practice giving consistent cues before I start doing the same from his back. He responds well to the ground work...keeps his ears forward...is interested in me...and follows me around without any gear on. I'm sure we will have our issues, but I'm sure enjoying him.

Levi placed in a couple of shows last year with his previous owners. I'd like to show him locally in halter at least. Boy, I have a lot to learn, however. Does anyone know a good book or resource that explains what must be done in the show ring? Thanks!

newrider.com