Hello --new here

Shunka

May 22, 2008
Hello all ! I'm new here and glad to see there are some older new riders. I've started my lessons but still don't know how to sit the saddle. Working on it today I almost fell off while trying to lope. I guess I don't have the balance thing down yet. I feel like a toy soldier put on a real horse-not very stable. I've read lots of books on movements--sitting middle, leaning to the rear, curving at the waist. Guess I just have to keep trying till one day it clicks. I've been reading the posts about falling off and keeping your confidence up so I dont feel so bad.

Hi and welcome there are plenty of us here all sharing our ups and downs with each other. Yes balance takes some practice but it shouldn't take too long to get the basics right. The most important thing is to remember to have fun!

Hello all ! I'm new here and glad to see there are some older new riders. I've started my lessons but still don't know how to sit the saddle. Working on it today I almost fell off while trying to lope. I guess I don't have the balance thing down yet. I feel like a toy soldier put on a real horse-not very stable. I've read lots of books on movements--sitting middle, leaning to the rear, curving at the waist. Guess I just have to keep trying till one day it clicks. I've been reading the posts about falling off and keeping your confidence up so I dont feel so bad.

Hi, Shunka - welcome!

Have you read the Heather Moffett stuff, under the Kinder Way heading on here? That's the best explanation I know of how to sit and move with the horse/

Hello & welcome.
Stick at it & most important have fun.
Don't be afraid to ask your RI questions if you are not sure what they are asking you to do.
I am still trying to get used to all the different words she shouts out at us, some of them are double dutch to me :D

Hi and welcome.I gather you are either in the USA or learning Western?:)
I'm backing my Boy by myself and am only just doing the passenger lesson and follow the rail in the walk,haven't got down to upping a gear yet let alone a lope!:D

Adding a new RI to help with the balance

Thank you for your warm welcome ! I'm in the USA- California. I decided to get an additional lesson or two from another center. Boy when I looked at the huge horse they picked for me I was a little intimidated. I could hardly reach the top of his head, but all went well. I learned to take him out of the stall, walk him to the arena then return him after. Those are things the other place didn't get into. We did some "trial posting" which consisted of me going up and down while Atasco walked. The RI said I might want to try English but right now I think Western is more secure for me. She said she switched because there is more interaction in English style. We'll see. One thing at a time.:)

Hello and welcome, balance will come in time, it will just click in place :). Just relax and enjoy your lessons.

newrider.com