Hello, I'm new here!

Virago

Nov 8, 2006
Suffolk
Been looking at this forum for a while now and you seem a friendly bunch so thought it was time to join and actually post something! Be gentle with me!
Can I take a few mins of your time and tell you about myself? I'm 'forty...something', rode as a child, gave it up aged 13 and, after a break of 25 years, have been trying to return to riding over the last few years with greater and lesser degrees of success.
All was going well until about three years ago when I had a fall at a private yard where I was riding. It was entirely my fault but I found out it's a long way down from a 17.2 ex-Household Cavalry horse.
Well, my busted up ankle healed but my confidence still hasn't. Problem was, not long after I got back in the saddle - nervously - I quit my job and started my own business (it's a long story). So, spare money disappeared completely as I had no wages for the first year of the business - so no riding!
Now the business is doing OK and I am desperate to ride again. I miss it so much. I have had the occasional lesson or hack, mainly when I am on holiday. Rode at a fabulous stables in Devon this year, with a great RI, which made me think 'I can do this.'
So, now I'm asking for your help. I no longer live near the RS I used to use, pre-fall. I have tried one or two near where I live now (North Essex) but haven't been enamoured with them. I know the choice of an RS is personal thing and I'm not sure of the Forum etiquette when it comes to recommendations, but I would appreciate a PM if they are not to be made publicly.
Basically I am looking for a RS that will understand my nerves and help me get back to the confident rider I used to be. I'm very interested in all NH-type practices (although I am no expert on any of them!) so anywhere which embraces that philosophy would be wonderful to find.
Thank you for your time reading my post...

Hi Virago

Welcome to NR!

I don't live near Essex so can't help you with a RS, but hope you do find one and Good Luck with the riding.:)

Thanks, stroppymare. D'you know, I think was nearly as nervous about posting on here as I am about riding! Don't know why though. Since I posted I have been thinking 'Ooh, I hope I used all the right abbreviations!'
I actually meant to add that I'm happy to travel a reasonable distance to ride. I work in Bishops Stortford, Herts and often find myself up in Suffolk too. Running my business leaves me precious little spare time so if I found somewhere that was in these areas, so much the better!

Nothing to be nervous about, everyone on here are very friendly and I'm sure that someone who lives in your area will soon be along to point you in the right direction.:)

Be sure to keep everyone posted when you find a riding school and how you get along!

I came back into riding and horseownership after having a break to have children and I wouldn't be without my little equine family now - it's a great bolthole when the family are driving you nuts!!;)

Like stroppymare I'm nowhere near you, but WELCOME :D to the forum anyway! I really hope you find somewhere good to ride - the difference a decent school makes to my confidence levels is amazing and its well worth the search :)
Hope you keep us updated and look forward to seeing you around the board :)

Hi Virago, and welcome!

Sorry I can't help with the choice of riding-school (I'm on the other side of the country), but have you tried the Riding Schools section on here? Quite a lot of them have websites, and that would give you an idea of what they're like.

If you've been lurking for a while, you'll know that lots and lots of people have come through a crisis of confidence, so go for it. And please :) keep us posted about how it goes

welcome to the board :D
sorry am about 150 miles from you, so dont know any rs in area,
I know what you mean about confidence, I have had quite a few issues, but it is possible to get there (in my case slowly lol) there are a few nervous nellies like me on the board, so post away, we wont bite :D

Hi Virago, and welcome.:D Good to hear from another Essex fortysomething.;)

Have you tried Ashen Equestrian Centre? I've heard that's very good? It must be somewhere near you if you're in North Essex.

welcome.gif

Good luck with finding a school.

Funnily enough I spoke to the woman who runs Ashen Equestrian Centre last week, as I'd come across their website. Unfortunately it is a centre that is really geared for horse owners, of which I am not one. They work with both horse and rider and, judging by the 'before' and 'after' pics on the website, they get some good results. They have one or two livery horses for non-horse owners to ride but they seem to have regular people who ride them so they are rarely available.
The centre have what they call their Saturday Club where anyone can go and watch people having their lessons so I will pop along and have a look when they do the next one. The website is at www.ashenequestriancentre.co.uk is anyone is interested. (Hope that works as a link - can't really do this cyber stuff!)

Welcome , but watch out , you'll quickly become addicted and "just logging on for 10 minutes" will result in going to bed at 1 a.m.:rolleyes: Returning to riding after 20 years is the best thing I've ever done - keep going and good luck finding a riding stables.

Welcome - I've only been logging on for a couple of weeks and am totally addicted - I can sit and read for hours so definitely watch out. All very interesting and helpful stuff though.

I'll leave suggestions for now, see if you can get one closer to you.

However if not, just send me a PM or something as I'm in Suffolk, so can lend a hand with stables around here (depending what part you're in really)

Welcome to NR, they are a very helpful bunch on here:D full of good advice and confidence giving suggestions.

Cant help with RS suggestion sorry !!:rolleyes: not in my neighbourhood.....but good luck:p

newrider.com