Hello - I'm new here!

Fandango

Apr 18, 2007
West Country
Having been a member of another horsey forum for a while, NR seems so much friendlier and laidback, so Hi everyone!!:)

I've had a passion for horses all my life. Not sure where it came from but it's here to stay.

Around a year ago, I had a bad experience :eek: with my young gelding and couldn't bring myself to ride him, but couldn't sell him either.:eek:

My saviour came in the shape of a lovely piebald mare, loaned from a friend. This little mare gave me my confidence back and with the help of NLP, I'm now back to riding my beautiful boy, who for the past year has been brought on fantastically by my friend's daughter. It's all worked out really well - long may it last!!:D

Hi Fandango,

Welcome to New Rider I'm new too it's a really fab site, glad I found it.
Hope you enjoy your New Rider experience :)

love Clip

helooo!

what's this other forum! ;-)

have fun and enjoy - this isba great way to talk with like-minded people as well as considering other methods. it's free and could even save a life!

xxxx
emily
:)

Hiya

Saved my life i can tell you :) The mutual support over in the cripples corner has been fantastic!!!:D

Last edited:
hello i only joined about 2 weeks ago and i think it a realy good forum lots of good advice and friendly people,

Welcome to NR. I haven't been a member of this message board very long either. Hope you enjoy the converstion here I know I do!

Cheers
Nayds :p

24.gif

Hello and welcome to NR. Im Sue owned by Caramac and his companion Thomas. Looking forward to reading your posts. Are we going to get piccies........Please?

Oh, you've all made me feel really welcome. Thanks!:D

The other forum registered with was Saddle Up. It just doesn't have the 'warmth' appeal of New Rider!!

As soon as I've found my way around this forum, I'll post some pics of my Gelding, Gilvarry (Gil) and also some of my mare, Ruby who's on long term loan to a fantastic young girl.

I've had Ruby, a 15hh heavyweight cob for over five years. She has the look of a little shire horse, but the mind set of a thoroughbred! She can be very, very strong - quite scary sometimes - and she really loves jumping. She has to be seen to be believed. Rosie, her second mum, is having the time of her life and she and Ruby make a wonderful team.

Gil is a 15.2 bright bay Irish Sports Horse was brought over from Ireland in September 2005. He was supposed to be 5, but turned out to be 3.

For seven months, he was brought on very quietly and gently - he was the perfect horse. Totally spook-proof, excellent in traffic, was always the brave horse if something scared others when out on a hack.

One cold, blustery Friday while being schooled, he violently spooked at the gate of the arena and dumped my instructor.

The following week, I had a lesson on the lunge. To cut a very long story short, he just took off with me. He was galloping flat out at the end of the lunge, and had no intention of stopping. I just had to relax and fall.

Thinking it was because I'd unzipped my jacket (something I'd done loads of times), I quite happily got back on, although I'd really hurt my bum!

We went into trot and off he went again. I've never galloped so fast on a 20 metre circle. Anyway, I kind of flew off him again and landed really heavily on my back. Although my injuries were not severe, I completely lost all my confidence with him.

Sorry this is so long-winded!!:eek: I will try to be brief:rolleyes:

It became clear he wasn't going to let anyone ride him. I believe something must have happened to him in Ireland and the arena, lunging or whatever must have been the trigger.

I had an awful year as there was no way I could ever sell him. Where would he have ended up? I even considered keeping him as a companion horse - mad, I know.

Anyway, I had him gently rebacked and put him out on loan for 8 weeks with someone I work with.

Gil came back to me in August, 2006 and my friend's daughter had the experience and confidence to ride him for me. In fact I took on her lovely little coloured mare and regained my confidence on her.

We all moved to a smaller yard in late 2006 where is in is in his element being in a field with three mares he loves to bits. After a couple of NLP sessions and huge amounts of Rock Rose, I finally got on board Gil about 8 weeks ago and haven't looked back since.

Gil seems to be a completely different horse now. He still very young in his ways, but he's acting more like a horse, you know, spooking at silly things and getting in to everything, picking up his feed bowl and flinging it across the yard - he's so adorable.:eek:

newrider.com