Hello - Bit advice required please!

Pocket Rocket

Feb 11, 2009
Hello, I am new today so please be gentle! After searching lots of differents sites and information I am hoping somebody out there maybe able to help. My daughter who is 6 years old and has been riding off the lead rein for around a year now is having trouble with brakes on her new pony! He is a little Welsh Sec A, 13 years old and we have had him 4 months now. They are doing a bit of everything - dressage, jumping, hacking but primarily show jumping and working hunter. On occasions whilst schooling he would take off with her. At this time he was being ridden in a 2 ring continental snaffle with a cavasson noseband (he doesn't open his mouth or cross his jaw so we have no reason to change the noseband). I swopped to a little globe pelham on the loosest curb setting and found for a while he was ok. But being 6 her hands are not the gentlest and we found when jumping he was backing off the bit and sometimes putting a stop in which he had never done before. So had a little twisted snaffle wilki made (on the advice of her RI) from Flyde but again he has started backing off as it can be severe when she becomes unbalanced. The dentist came out and checked his teeth and said he has gum damage caused by the original bit (it was a thick snaffle), he has lots of loose skin which when being ridden in the pelhem would bunch up by his teeth and hurt. So he advised against using the pelhem and especially not a rubber bit of any kind as this would make it worse. He is a lovely genuine pony and my daughter adores him but in a plain snaffle he is just too forward going. The dentist says the best bit to ride him in (for his gums) would be a thinnish snaffle but best of all a french link. However, I know he would just take the mick out of her in a french link snaffle. Can anyone offer me any advice?

how about a french link wilkie? - mine has a thin mouth piece & won't be as harsh as the twisted snaffle or pelham so he shouldnt back off at fences but should provide sufficient control?

I would suggest a hanging cheek snaffle. I ride my arab in the french link variety. He was ridden in a gag before i got him and his previous owners were honest about his taking off and being 'strong' so i changed him to the hanging cheek as it is a very soft bit but seems quite popular with ponies with big tongues/small mouths and of the forward going variety!

Ive got a myler which is fantastic and the bonus with myler is most stockists will hire out or u can buy on a 21 day trial so if u dont like it u can return and get ** money back!

Good luck with whatever u try!!

Thank you. I have tried a hanging cheek french link, a hanging cheek waterford and he didn't go well in either of those so may try the wilki french link - it just gets very expensive! I shall soon have my own bit bank :p

In a year's time she should be bigger and stronger (with longer legs I hope) and he should be fine in a snaffle its just what to do until she gets there, that is kind to him as well. And obviously I don't want her to get frightened and lose her confidence.

Thanks for your advice and hopefully at the weekend I will try and post a photo and do a bit of personal editing. Mind you, is it just me being old as I don't find this site very easy to navigate and understand?

I sell and do 21 day trials on myler bits:)
You initially buy the bit, and if its not right within 21 days return it for a full refund minus £5 trial fee

What about an MB04 hanging cheek ? see : http://www.scallywagsequinesupplies...+04,+Low+Port+Comfort+Snaffle,+Hanging+Cheek/

I have my sec a, in this bit, and he loves it. The small port ergonimically go's up and around the ponies tongue, so there mouth isnt full of bit, and it dosnt pinch

If it has to be BD legal, the MB02 : http://www.scallywagsequinesupplies...2+Comfort+Snaffle+Wide+Barrel,+Hanging+Cheek/

This dosnt pinch the tongue either, and also distributes the rein pressure evenly over the mouth, It just dosnt have the small port of the 04

Jill

newrider.com