Hello again....I'm back!

Nicnac

Jan 2, 2008
Devon
Hello everyone

I'm back, not sure who'll remember me as I didnt post that often, but for those of you who do, I had bought a cob x TB, my first horse, Tia, in August. Still have her, although she has had some health issues, so consequently I have spent a lot of time not riding her! We are still here, and although we don't know what the future will bring, the long term prognosis could be much worse. Just bringing her back into work and am soooo looking forward to riding her again in about a month. :D She has turned out to be every inch as bombproof as when I first got her, and although she can quite cheeky at times, well grumpy, it is not nasty in the slightest, she is genuinely very sweet-natured and I do love her dearly already (I realised how much I missed her when she went away to be xrayed and scanned).

Just managed to get round to rejoining after a very hectic few months so thought I'd say hi to you all again!

Nic

Photos here too (I've posted this in two places, sorry!) PS the headcollar in the last one is not hers, its her previous owner!

ok0wao.jpg

4gn9xk.jpg

s15hmq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yes hopefully it will be onwards and upwards after her back problems, is it always the way when you buy your first horse?!

Thanks for your lovely replies everyone - sorry, I've not been on here for a few days!

She's lovely. Shame you've had problems with her. What is wrong with her back?

I got Izzy around the same time, fortunately no health problems, just a bit spooky.

I couldn't really understand the vet's jargon :eek: but basically she has probably had an injury at some point which has caused problems between two vertebrae. Its nothing really bad, apparently, but she has had local anaesthetic injected into the spot, some nerve blocks and some cortizone injections I think, which means that she is a lot freer and more comfortable. They did think it might be something horrible like kissing spines, but luckily its nothing like that, and it doesn't warrant a negative prognosis, although she will have to be under constant review, and I would imagine maybe injected every so often with the local or cortizone?

welcome back!

Tia looks lovely - I remember you getting her - sorry to hear that it hasn't all been plain sailing.

Hopefully the nerve blocks (and probably an epidural type thing? thats what we do with humans with severe back pain/problems) will help - can't wait to hear how you get on when you start riding her again!:D:D

welcome back!

Tia looks lovely - I remember you getting her - sorry to hear that it hasn't all been plain sailing.

Hopefully the nerve blocks (and probably an epidural type thing? thats what we do with humans with severe back pain/problems) will help - can't wait to hear how you get on when you start riding her again!:D:D

Thank you :) Yes of course, it must be an epidural - I didnt think about that, :eek: apparently it lasts for a few months? I'm absolutely scared to death about getting on her again though! Hopefully you won't be seeing any posts about her bucking me off because she's much happier not being ridden lol :D Will definitely let you know how I go though!

Thank you :) Yes of course, it must be an epidural - I didnt think about that, :eek: apparently it lasts for a few months? I'm absolutely scared to death about getting on her again though! Hopefully you won't be seeing any posts about her bucking me off because she's much happier not being ridden lol :D Will definitely let you know how I go though!

Not sure if its the same in horses, but in humans it tends to last 3-4 months, but generally they're pretty effective!

fingers crossed there isn't a bucking rodeo at yours! I'm sure she'll be fine - are you lunging her with tack on?

I'm just off to tell milo he's got away with it today - was meant to be the Big Day! Our first grown up hack - but alas the weather has conspired against us!

Hi Nicnac and good to see you back again. Tia is gorgeous and so pleased she is proving to be a steady neddy despite her back issues. Hopefully she will be just fine when you get back on her - at least you've had plenty of time to bond with her so this will surely help with riding her again wont it?;)

Not sure if its the same in horses, but in humans it tends to last 3-4 months, but generally they're pretty effective!

fingers crossed there isn't a bucking rodeo at yours! I'm sure she'll be fine - are you lunging her with tack on?

I'm just off to tell milo he's got away with it today - was meant to be the Big Day! Our first grown up hack - but alas the weather has conspired against us!

Yes, think its meant to last about the same apparently, so I will just have to keep an eye on her I guess. No, but I did wonder whether to lunge her with a saddle on, I might ask the RI who is going to lunge her this week when I'm working in London.

Hope you get your first proper hack soon - its so frustrating when you've built yourself up to something too, and then it literally gets rained on! Or snowed on I guess...

Cortrasna, thank you :) Yes, I have gone from a nervous nelly around her to being confident when I'm handling her, ignoring her little grumpy episodes if she has them - which are now rare - wondered if she was testing me before. Today she didnt even flinch when I did the girth of her roller up - normally she is a right old drama queen before I've even touched her. I think we have developed a proper bond on the ground - clearly still a long way to go - but it does feel as though she knows who I am now, if that makes sense? Anyway, will stop gushing now :eek::)

newrider.com