Hellilsh couple of days :(

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
We've had pretty much constant rain since Thursday morning. It has left off a bit now but the air is still thick with "mizzle". The lovely little paddock that Boo has been has now been churned up by that little monster who is still zooming around as if he didn't go through a pretty major op on Thursday :frown: Consequently, his back end was totally mud-covered by last evening... we're not talking a spattering here, we are talking hip to toe you couldn't see any colour... and his tail was the same too!!! I'd spoken to the vet earlier in the day about how to clean him off.... figuring that despite his behaviour he'll be very guarding of the site and I didn't fancy trying to "pat gently" with a hoof precisely aimed at me!!! She also told me to wash his inner thighs. Whilst the idea of standing well back and hosing him was more appealing, I figured that would do more harm than good in terms of washing potential germs IN to the wounds as well as potentially knocking off any scabbing.

Well I was close to tears last night at the desperation of the situation. We ended up moving him down into the little pen at the end of the main field shelter again. He went in there the first night and managed to break a couple of the rails in that 15 hours! So with it tipping down and the light fading, poor Dom and I struggled to "make do" for the time being... a lack of time meant it has ended up looking a bit pikey - but it held him secure overnight. In a flash of inspiration I lugged all my rubber mats down to lay over the mud in the hope that he'd get a bit cleaner but the little s@d immediately dislodged a load by ROLLING on them and then flying around bucking and farting :banghead: Dom deduced that they were actually more slippery than the mud so we lugged them back UP to the stables (very slippery slope, thanks to the mud!) and instead I've chucked down a load of straw in the hope that it will remain a little cleaner than him churning up the ground directly. We had to walk the straw in quickly as the others think of it as a snack opportunity over the fence :redcarded: Meanwhile, last night I must have been chucking out stress vibes as the others were running around and generally acting up... not even settling to eat their hay - so THAT didn't help me!!!

Honestly, I do feel like I am thwarted at every corner just at the moment! We've had four weeks of dry weather and I can't believe nature has been so cruel to me. Boo is fine, he just wants to be out with his new mates, he doesn't understand that I'm trying to do the best for him. If he doesn't get an infection it will be a minor miracle!! This morning I approached his nether regions with a warm hibiscrub solution but I stood no chance! Even with Dom's help the best I could manage was to throw cupfuls of liquid in the general direction.... but he is a fair bit cleaner today anyway.

He didn't hold a grudge and was still cuddly afterwards... he even lay down on the fresh straw I'd distributed this morning. Meanwhile I'm trying not to stress......

And on top of that, our employers come back from their late-winter annual six-week sabbatical to their South African home this evening so it has been all systems go here to make everything look immaculate.

*wanders off to find darkened room*

And now I've noticed that I've spelt Hellish wrong in the title too!!!!!

Last edited:
empathise, i have had many days like this and know how you feel - we are back to sleet today, just when the fields were beginning to dry a bit.

i know i was terrified suze would get mastitis due to how to treat it, and foally's cut leg was similarly difficult - no idea best way to do his wound area, it's down to cooperation.

can only say sympathy empathy on its way to you and hugs!

Oh heck, what a time you're having. With regard to his op and the wound and the mud etc, I can only say that obviously with him being young his immune system will hopefully fight off the majority of germs - and coupled with you trying to get a bit of hibi near it, it should do the trick. As I mentioned before on your other thread, there ought not to be that many flies about yet, so that's another bonus. Totally know where you are coming from with the frustration of not being able to get properly near to it to clean etc, I had similar with Joe once when he was going through a lot of pain with an abscess, it was painful for all of us trying our best in the middle of a muddy field with no proper stable. Lots of soothing vibes to you - hopefully the weather will take a turn for the better. Our lovely fields were just looking recovered but today are churned up around the gates again. It will soon be summer! Healing vibes for Boo's bits also.Txxx

I'm amazed anyone EVER gets near enough to a horse's wound to treat it or clean it - the most I've managed was a spray of purple spray in the general direction while avoiding flying hooves! Try not to worry. My cat got her headcollar thing off and bit out all the stitches within an hour of being spayed. She was absolutely fine. Animals - and indeed humans - are actually pretty resilient.

Could you bring one of your other horses in with him or next to him? He might settle better.

Cleaning wise, what about getting one of them spray bottles people use for indoor plants etc. Fill it with a mix of boiled cooled salt water or whatever the vet recommends as a cleaning/antiseptic agent. That way you could just stand back and squirt.

The horses ARE next to him. Have been since he arrived... they are only interested in lunging over the fence at him with flat ears and open mouths and yet he is still desperate to be out with them. He does seem to be a little more settled down in the bottom pen, thankfully. It also gives him a better view of most of the field so he can see them more, even if at a distance. You can get a better idea from this pic. He's in the little bit on the left and the others are fed their hay in the main shelter. When they are all in there munching, Boo is calm and quiet and eats his own hay too so it's closest to the ideal situation that I can provide for him at the moment...

IMG-20130207-02623_zps6b0a58a1.jpg

All because of a pair of testicles.... or lack of, now!!!!

Last edited:
Yes I understand that, its a big field though and they may be wandering off to the grassy bits and leaving Boo thinking he's been left behind lol even though he can see them. My youngster gets very stressed on her own even if she is in the field next door separate from the others within quite close proximity. It can be quite a pain at times. At first if I schooled one in the field next door she would gallop round and then trash straight through the fence to join us. When I first got her she was worse, especially if I wanted to ride two out and leave her behind she is slowly learning to be away from them for short periods, I still have to stick her in a stable though otherwise she would be out of the field and following us down the road lol.

I am lucky to have Evie who is a very good surrogate mother. If Summer has to comes in, Evie comes in too and 'babysits'.

Never mind, he wont have to stay in for long all being well. Lets hope this lousy weather dries up soon.

I do feel bad that he's on his own, but initially he needed to be kept separate because of the mare and now he needs to be kept restrained because of the op. Lovely Lotte put a different spin on it for me and suggested I look at it as if I'm training him to be able to cope on his own for short periods and he's learning that if they wander off, they DO always come back. That pen is better placed anyway as he can pretty much see ALL of the field from there so they will be in view for most of the time. Previously, they'd have been able to "disappear" up behind the stables, but that is now fenced off and was the paddock we've had to move him down from, so at least the others can't go out of view up there.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there will be times when Jack and Joey are taken out of the field, when Dom and I go off riding, so Boo will have to continue to learn anyway. I do realise that is a slightly different situation though.

Anyway, the update is that he is MUCH more settled in that little pen. He has dried off well and my idea of putting straw down for him to tread into the mud looks incredibly messy but seems to be working for the time being, thankfully and his legs are clean again. I can't even bend down to inspect his wound site without him stamping his little back leggies at me.... I see confrontations ahead! :giggle: but he's happy to have cuddles and scritches as usual and there is no undue swelling that I could see externally. The weather has dipped so I've actually put his rug back on for the time being as he can't run around to warm up.

I was telling Mr T about this last night and the difficulty you are facing trying to clean the area - he suggested (not as silly as it sounds) a stick with a clean, hibiscrubbed sponge on the end? Just so as you can get to it without getting kicked, could dom tempt Boo at one end with some tasty carrots - of course you'd have to show him the stick first.......not sure how he'd react tho? Maybe he hasn't been handled much ? Sorry, maybe not such a good thought afterall..................

Ha! Tell Mr T I'm liking his thinking!!! :tongue: But now that he's cleaner I'm going to leave well alone, I don't want to aggravate Boo OR the wound.

Boo has been handled fine. From experience, I remember that all newly-gelded youngsters are very "Keep away" for a couple of weeks but it doesn't mean they will always be kickers. Albi double-barrelled me twice just after his op - thankfully I leapt clear so no contact was made! I steered clear for a few more weeks until he was healed and then resumed picking up hind feet and grooming and he never raised a hoof to me again.

God that sounds horrid. I think you have done a great job with the emergency field and personnel now he is there I would leave alone as well. I like my head to much!!!

Like you say he will have to learn to be on his own at some point might as well start now.

Oh Jane, so sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Do you now have snow too? We do :-( although at least that does give them a big of a wash!
Snow would have been so much better than the rain! At least it is clean!!! No, we have had a few light flurries today but we've had a couple of dry days now so things have started to dry out again, thankfully. If it gets really cold, hopefully the ground will harden up a bit too.

He was a bit unsettled again tonight whilst the big boys came in for ten minutes for their tea. They come in every night to eat from their trugs, gives me a chance to check them over and they know their routine. And whilst they are in I put a big pile of hay down in the shelter for them to dive on when I let them out again. I think because it was quite windy, they were all a little on their toes :redcarded:

newrider.com