Height thoughts please...

Ratface

Nov 20, 2007
West Yorkshire
Right, there is a rising 2 heavy cob gelding. His dad is a 16.2 pure ID, mum is a mega heavy coloured cob at 14.2ish.

He currently stands at 14.2 and has been told he will make 16hh at least as they grow til at least the age of 6. He is very chunky:rolleyes:

There are already 2 others on the yard with the exact same parents, one is 18hh and still growing at 4 and a half and the other is about 15.3 rising 4, so totally different!!!:p

So what we were wondering is, have any of your horses reached at least 16hh from being 14.2 at rising 2? What are your thoughts on whether it will make the height?

Last edited:
It might do, ive known a horse that was 16 at 3 and was 17hh at 4 when it was meant to have stopped! it may have a growth spurt...how high is his bum compared to the whithers?

Only very very slightly higher, if at all.

The one which is at 15.3 now is still growing and is rising 4 and the one which is 18hh is still growing now!!!:eek:

I have seen quite a few ads where the gorse is only 14hh ish and is to make 16.2ish but I never know whether to believe them!!:confused:

I'd expect him to make it, at least!
18hh? :eek: Where did that come from?! Do you know the breeding of the parents? He's going to be enormous! :p

Haha they dont know! They were told he was gonna be around the 16.2 mark as obviously the parents arent any taller than that but by god he is a big bugger, and bloody gorgeous!! The lovely thing about him is he is a very unusual colour and not a normal standard breed such as a shire or Percheron (which are commonly that size) so it is lovely to see him clomp past!

He was bigger at that age though than this gelding so we dont think he will go as big as that :rolleyes:. He has been out to grass with a bit of hay thrown in up until now so maybe he may grow now he is getting hard feed.

Time will tell I guess!!

Just thought I would quickly update you...

He has been remeasured tonight and is actually 15hh so I recon he will reach 16hh.

Here is a pic for anyone who is interested...

11022009841.jpg

11022009842.jpg

Thanks to those who replied!!:D

my boy is just over 14.2 at 21 months and I sincerely hope he wont make 16hh as hes supposed to be my next small hunter!!

if we say he will be at least 15.1 by the time be i three. then is 15.3 at 4 then he ould easily be 16 if he continues frowing till 6 or even bigger. however if he only grows to 4 then he may only be 15.2hh.

i would say now 15.2hh to 16.hh

I dont think he is gonna only grow from 15hh to 15.1 in a year and a half:rolleyes:

But thank you for your thoughts, it is good to see how you have worked it out!!

;)

He is sweet:D

I dont know whether this will help, but my 19 month filly is expected to make 15.3hh, and currently stands at 14.3.

Her withers have finally caught up with her bottom!!

I dont think he is gonna only grow from 15hh to 15.1 in a year and a half:rolleyes:

But thank you for your thoughts, it is good to see how you have worked it out!!

;)

Well actually if you go the well recognised theory that horses are 95% of thier adult height at 2 years of age,then that might be about right.

I have never understood why people think horses will be huge just because they are a reasonable size when they are young:confused:

My filly grew like a weed until the age of 18 months and then slowed right down and only grew an inch in nearly two years!!

Basing on the calculation I have always used:

58 inches (14.2hh that he is now) divided by 0.95 = 61 inches,so your boy should make 15.1hh.Allow and inch or two either way as your original measurment of his height could be an inch or two out.

Hope that helps:)

You could also try the elbow to fetlock method,that *should* give you around the same figure (whenever I have done both.they have always matched up to within an inch or so)

Lucy grew like a weed until the age of 3. Then she stopped growing - 15hh ..... Then between 5 and 8 she's shot up to a full up 15.3/16hh .... Then between last winter and this winter (now ages 10), she's filled out more than before and also gained a rug size in length. A late maturer for sure ... reckon she's all done now!!!

If there's no question of a sneaky Shire-sized stallion getting where he shouldn't it's rather fascinating the difference in size! Though with humans, it's not unusual for kids to be either much taller or smaller than both parents, all in the same family. Maybe there's a very tall grandsire or dam (or GGreat) that he's a throwback to?

Hehe yeah we remeasured him :)

I have been fussing his big bro who is 2 years older than him this morning and he is over 16hh - i forgot that when I measured them against me I had my Muckboots on!:rolleyes:

They are both absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thank you for all of your replies - will update this in a few years to let you all know! haha :p

If there's no question of a sneaky Shire-sized stallion getting where he shouldn't it's rather fascinating the difference in size! Though with humans, it's not unusual for kids to be either much taller or smaller than both parents, all in the same family. Maybe there's a very tall grandsire or dam (or GGreat) that he's a throwback to?

On speaking to the guy who owns the 18hh chappy, he said that the first 5 foals that the mare had, they were all chestnut (which is what he is but a nice variation of it). The following few have all been coloured. Strange huh?!

The mare used to be at the stables where I am now until he was weaned and then she went back to the breeder.

I have stood next to the stallion (very scary!) and he is only about 16.2 but pure ID so may have a big sire or something! I know my ID is 17hh so they can get big!

newrider.com