Hedgehog House

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've been thinking about building a hedgehog house, since I found the one Niko played with. I've got a load of bricks and some slabs going spare, but do you put bedding in them? food? where are they best sited?

I'll ask Mum & Dad what they have @Jessey As they have loads of them I'm their garden & know they have various shelters too.

They buy bags of hedgehog food for them from a local countryside/agricultural store.

Reactions: Jessey
Bedding wise at the rescue we use, shredded newspaper, straw and dry leaves so along as it was going to stay dry inside could probably use any of these. For food they get wet dog food and dog biscuits (and chopped chicks but I'm sure you can leave this out šŸ¤£) position wise id say under a hedge or bush would be best and somewhere sheltered. And then just a shallow bowl of water near by too.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I had one shelter over the winter in my hay / feed room at the old house. I could sense being watched one evening and heard a snuffling. They made a nice nest within some bales of hay and I just left them well alone. I didn't use the hay just in case I upset them lol

We had them under our shed at the old house, we never put anyth8ng specific out for them bedding wise but we had a lot of trees so plenty of leaves for them to make a bed out of. So I would guess ā€˜if you build it they will comeā€™ šŸ˜Š and steal hay to bed down in.

Thereā€™s loads of overgrown stuff that I donā€™t go into as my landlord left loads of junk around, so thereā€™s tons of places to hide and I probably donā€™t NEED to build them a house, but it would be kind of cool if they did come šŸ˜‹ I could set up a hedgehog cam šŸ˜

newrider.com