heavy breathing

Mehitabel

Mar 27, 2001
london/dorset
rehorses.com
just had a phone call from the yard. copper had a lesson on monday, and was puffing and heavy breathing towards the end. it wasn't a strenuous lesson, and he wasn't sweating, (he is unclipped) just puffing. he did this a couple of times (wheezing a bit as well - don't think he was doing the wheezing on monday) in the summer when it was at its hottest, so we are thinking it's overheating.
he also went into his fatter (mw) rug on saturday as the weather was so foul.

so they've put him back into his lw rug, listened to his chest, nothing untoward seems to be going on. YO asked louise to ring me to see what i thought about clipping.

i am not keen - he needs a triple dose of sedation (£80 i haven't got while i am not working), last time he was sedated he got an abcess in his throat at the injection site (£300 bill to sort that out, stomach tubing, 6 weeks on a liquid diet) and when he was clipped in previous winters he dropped weight to the point he had to come in every day and have 2 big feeds. since we stopped clipping after the abcess, he's kept weight on no trouble, only having a small feed when he works. this was only a bib clip, so can't take any less off.

so i don't want to clip him, but on the other hand i don't want him puffing all winter and possibly doing damage to his lungs.

any suggestions? lou was going to tell YO my concerns and YO is going to ring me back if she wants to discuss options. i've said they can see what he's like without sedation if YO feels he will be best clipped - he has mellowed a lot in the last few years, but frankly i don't fancy their chances. i doubt sedazine or a paste will touch him (and he doesn't do syringes anyway) and when he is scared he gets dangerous.
if it were just the money then i'd find it from somewhere - but clipping is so stressful for him and he loses so much weight that i would really prefer not to.

Oh geez. What a situation. (poor Copper!)

You've read about how much experience I [don't] have with clipping...I don't have any ideas to offer you, sorry :( Except--could he be clipped just on the underside of his neck, maybe? Not even a bib clip, but just the neck part? It might then be slightly doable without sedation (not too much to do), might give some heat relief, and wouldn't be as cold...

it's not that i'm bothered about clare - if it were just the money for the sedation i'd do it. but once he's clipped, he drops weight like nobody's business and and needs to be in and fed every day. we last clipped in 97, and since then he's been fat and well all through winter. as he gets on a bit, i am reluctant to do anything that wil make him drop weight. also, since he isn't sweating at all, i am unsure if clipping will even help?

we use big-bale haylage, so it's dust free anyway. i am not there all the time; i live in london and he is on loan to the riding school, so i don't know about individual bales etc. YO is good though - she wouldn't feed manky stuff.

i am leaning towards leaving it for the time being, perhaps asking them to cut the workload a ibt, and getting a vet if it gets worse. when he was wheezing in the summer, it only happened a couple of times in the worst of the heatwave, so we didn't get a vet then.

well lou phoned me back this afternoon - they turned the clippers on near him to see what he thought, and caught him again 10 minutes later. so that's a no.
i mentioned the workload, and she said that it was actually before the lesson, when she was tacking him up, that she notticed the puffing, and that he actually seemed better afterwards. it was a lady who is just beginning, so very light work and the instructor gave him lots of breaks between trots. :rolleyes:
there was a vet there this afternoon, but didn't have time to look at him, so next time one is coming chop can be seen if it happens again. hopefully the lightweight rug will work, and obviously if it happens badly or he is distresed we'll get a vet sharpish.

It couldn't be the air temperature causing the puffing could it? It's pretty cold here, and when the kids first get out they puff a bit too - till they've warmed up. Obviously it would be the opposite in Summer; just wondered if he's a bit more sensitive to dust or moisture in the air as he's getting older. Probably not. Just a thought.

Hope he's ok anyway.

newrider.com