Heartbroken friend as 'her' pony is pratically sold. :( LONG!!

funkyfilly_sos

Brucie :)
Jan 3, 2007
Out there somewhere!
Hello Everyone!
I'm just back from my normal day at the stables doing all the manegement stuff. UPDATE: its my second time helping out and am settling in really well (I knew everyone previously which helped a bit) I'm really enjoying myself. :)

Anyway, I'll admit today has been anything but a good day really. I've enjoyed my time at the stables but I've found the afternoon really hard to be happy in as some bad news was announced.
One of my friends, who has helped out since anyone can remember, has found out that her favourite horse is being sold. She has schooled him and complete transformed him over the past year hes been here. They've built a really close bond together, and my friend loves him to pieces.

Last week, me and her were celebrating as her mum had told her she could by the horse that she loves so much. However this is once her mum has got the money together and once my friend has finished an upcoming competition with a different school horse. So obviously that would take a few months.

My YO had a phone call this afternoon from a lady extremely interested in him and my friend just broke into tears. My YO has literally sold him to this lady, and once her daughter rides the horse there is no doubt she wont fall in love with him.

My friend is in pieces. If I had the money I would buy the horse myself and give it to her, she was so upset she nearly got me off. But we have found a solution. All the helpers are thinking of raising money for my friend to actually pay for the horse. We're thinking of doing a hell of a lot of fund raising and car washing! :D

We've done some estimates and we should raise just over what the horse is for sale for. But the thing is, half of the fund raising is to do with the RS ponies and I dont think my YO will let us use them as I doubt she'll support our actions (basically were stopping her from getting any money which she wants NOW).

My question to you all is do you think my YO will support our actions? If it were you who were the YO would you wait for us to raise the money (which will probably take till about September to raise) or would you accept the money for the horse from the other person now?
What upset me even more is how uncaring the YO is being, my friend has pratically trained this horse and made it worth what it is for sale for. Everyone knows she deserves him more than anyone. They have such a great bond. I dont see why my YO cant wait until my friend has the money, shes practically heartbroken.

Thankyou for any replies to the longest thread I've done yet.
xxxKellyxxx

Ps: Have any of you been in this position? If so how did you act?

Last edited:
What a horrible position to be in :(

If I were the YO I'd be willing to wait a few months for the girl to raise the money as I'd be sure the horse would be going to a good home. This is if I had the space/money/time to keep the horse until then.

Unfortunately September is a very long way off and I doubt the YO would wait that long. She probably wants the ready cash now.

Feel sorry for your friend, hope she can work something out. How much is the horse up for? What about a loan/credit card? Then her mum could pay it off later.

Aaw, what a shame.

I don't really think it is fair of you to put the YO in that position though. September is a long way off & she is running a business - it is her livelihood at the end of the day & making her feel guilty & asking her to keep hold of a pony that is already for sale isn't really on. What if you don't manage to get the money or what if the pony becomes lame in the mean time or what about the other million things that could happen between now & then to stop the sale?

Don't get me wrong, I think your intentions are trully lovely & I'm sure your friend really does deserve this pony but I don't think it would be fair to put that pressure & guilt onto the YO.

I found myself in a very similar situation when I was younger. Begged & pleaded my mum until she finally gave in & said I could have the £400 to buy the pony (which will give you some idea about how long ago it was). Phoned up to book my lesson & to tell the RS owner that I could have the pony only to be told she had sold him.

Gutted is not the word! However - I did get over it. I still think about him some times now but the pony I ended up with was 1000x better than him & well worth the wait!

chin up to you & your friend - I know she will be heartbroken but it could be for the best in the long run

im sorry to hear that but its not really fair to ask your YO to cancel a viewing - this is her livelihood after all.
Does she actually KNOW that you friend could have the pony? (dont just assume she does cos in my experience people dont assume things as much as we think they do)

Yes I have with Echoe.
All I had to think about is ive done him good and I can look forward to the next one and give someone the pleasure of having him as much as I did.
It was hard - I admitt I cryed for 2 days on end. Still miss him sooo much and times I think '' I want my hoss back'' But I no he's giving this girl so much confidence and enjoyment.

Im here . On Msn or PM To talk:)

Thanks for the advice people. I do suppose we are putting my YO in a difficult position. :eek:

The horse is up for £1,800 but my friends mum was going to buy him after she had finished competing on a different horse so she was going to actually buy him however I dont think the YO was aware of this.

My friend burst into tears infront of my YO so shes found out now that my frined could buy him I think, its just I dont think she is too happy waiting for my friend to buy him :(

The thing is if my YO could wait until my friend has finished a competition on another RS horse my friend would be able to buy him there and then. No need for fundrasing and the competition is only in April. :(

Last edited:
This might be a silly question.. But how important the comp is for your friend? I mean, if my dream horse was up for graps, I wouldn't go to that comp but buy him instead.. Especially since the horse she is competing with isn't hers..

Nina x

This might be a silly question.. But how important the comp is for your friend? I mean, if my dream horse was up for graps, I wouldn't go to that comp but buy him instead.. Especially since the horse she is competing with isn't hers..

Nina x

that's just what I was thinking- why does she have to do it?

I assume she is doing the BHS Equitation Competition the final of which is in April and she is not allowed to be a horseowner to compete in it. If that is the case I am sure the RI/YO would try to give her a chance to buy her favourite later as she is competing for the school.

Poor thing :( There's not much she can do now but have a chat with the YO. Could she maybe offer to let her horse be used in lessons until she can pay off the amount? It's the only solution I can come up with.

I know I'd be devestated if Cupcake was sold without me being able to do anything about it.

eml, i think you are right that is the competition she is going in. However I doubt the YO is going to save her favourite just for her, she isnt that type of person tbh. Im not meaning to sound horrible but when my YO saw my friend in tears the only reply she could say was 'at least hes going to a good home' which made me sure shed thought she had a sale.
I dont know how important the competition is to her, but i doubt she can back out now as my RS had to do fundraising for her to compete in it and it would all be a waste of time if she then decided not to compete in it and I'm sure many parents would be annoyed if they found out their money had gone to waste.

I suppose this is similar to another thread I posted named 'So they're Selling him' which was actually to do with my favourite horse from my RS being put up for sale.
Thanks for the support everyone, fingers crossed I suppose that the lady thinking of buying him pulls out. :(
The problem is, it happened to two of my friends yesterday. Both of them are quite close friends of mine and both found out that 'their' horses were under the possibility of being bought.
My other friend which I havent told you about was going to buy a different horse (her favourite) from my RS by the end of the year as her grandma doesnt have the money to buy him at this moment. Now that horse has two viewings on Monday and one is wishing to use him as a happy hacker which he is perfect for. My friend was wishing to hack him aswell and take him into some heavyweight hunter classes which we all know he would do well in.
Yesterday, I had a double helping of tears as both of my friends are heartbroken. It was very hard to cope with and I knew yous would be able to support me. Thanks :)

Any more replies welcome.
xxxKellyxxx

Last edited:
newrider.com