Healthy treats to use for clicker training?

I use Badminton High Fibre complete hay replacer, chunky nuggets. They are about the size of the top joint of my thumb and Ziggy would stand on his head for them if he could.

Pieces of carrot about the size of half a 50p work well too.

I use the robinsons box of treats - they are ao small so quantity eaten is minimal. About £4 a box

The others I looks at are the codlivine linseed pellets as they are pure linseed - not high sugar,though they are conditioning - but I wanted a treat which was nutritional and she needed omega oils for her skin :)

You can't go past a carrot. Just make them small peices that s/he wont spend much time chewing. It should be just a taste not a snack.

I don't like processed feeds/treats for this as they tend to be higher in energy and often come in chunks that are much bigger then I want to give out.

You can't go past a carrot. Just make them small peices that s/he wont spend much time chewing. It should be just a taste not a snack.

I don't like processed feeds/treats for this as they tend to be higher in energy and often come in chunks that are much bigger then I want to give out.

The robin sons ones are 5p size :)

I'm from Australia so I'm no sure how big 5p is. However I still generally prefer carrots to processed snacks. I think the only reason I would use something like that is if my horse wasn't keen on carrots and I had to find something that made him/her more motivated.

That's never been a problem tho. All my horses LOVE carrots. Their nice and cheap too. :D

I use Badminton High Fibre complete hay replacer, chunky nuggets. They are about the size of the top joint of my thumb and Ziggy would stand on his head for them if he could.

Pieces of carrot about the size of half a 50p work well too.

OMG I use these and friend told me about them about a year ago the bag is about 10kg-15kg and cost £8 they last for every so execellent value for money Chanter loves them and know the 'treat' box (has broken in to it a few times) and all the are is condenced hat so nothing bad in them at all.

Honestly, they are fab. A bag lasts months and months and months!

And Ziggy LOVES them. So do all the other horses. Something strange in there maybe?:smoke:

.... and I can vouch for Jane's idea coz she suggested them to me and I am the happy owner of a massive tub of them for £6 :biggrin:

It took Prince a while to realise they weren't Sand Out or any other pellet thing he hates but now they work great as a treat. Hooray for Jane lol!

Another vote here for the Badminton high fibre nuggets, they are brilliant! I also put them in his snack ball when he's stabled overnight in winter...he loves them so much he actually leaves leaves his dinner til after his ball!

I was at Burghley horse trials an was given a sample bag of badminton High Fibre complete - these look like chunky nuggets and actually very similar in size to the badminton treats...are these the same as the High Fibre Nuggets and Cubes that people have mentioned on this thread? As on badminton website they are all listed separately as different products??

I was at Burghley horse trials an was given a sample bag of badminton High Fibre complete - these look like chunky nuggets and actually very similar in size to the badminton treats...are these the same as the High Fibre Nuggets and Cubes that people have mentioned on this thread? As on badminton website they are all listed separately as different products??

High Fibre complete is what it says on my bag.

I use these:

http://www.feedem.co.uk/horse-c237/horse-treats-c239/badminton-tasty-horse-treats-5kg-p60

They`re quite good value for money compared with other treats in bags ... I sometimes use chopped up carrots too :happy:

yeh i have always fed these too, usually buy in bulk at various shows! but when at Burghley i saw the High Fibre Complete nuggets and they basically looked the same, but would work out much cheaper! i have placed a bag of the Complete nuggets on order, i guess they would be max £10 for a bag (which i assume is about 12kg)...will find out next week when they come in!

Thanks Jane&Ziggy, i was getting very confused with all the names of their products on their website!

Did anyone email Badminton and ask for freebies? I did and they sent me 6 bags of the nuggets and a load of information on feed.

Wooooo hooooo who says there's no such thing as a free lunch!?!? :cloud9:

newrider.com