Healthy Thread for 3rd week Jan

raingodz

Aug 8, 2005
Sheffield, UK
www.learning-to-ride.co.uk
So, since I sat here eating a pack of crisps and having a cup of De-caff, I think it is probably my turn to start the Healthy thread for this week.

On the down side, I put 4 lbs on over xmas, I'm currently eating crisps, I got one of each kind of Green & Blacks chocolate dark bars for fixing someones laptop (I love dark chocolate, its about the only sweet thing I like) and I keep missing going running with OH on saturday mornings because I keep going to help out at my RS:eek:

On the up side, I'm going running at lunchtime today with some people from work.

My target is to try and loose a stone (this is adjusted for the xmas 4lbs) over the next 6 months which will put me into my acceptable BMI (either that or I need to grow 4 inches :D ), I don't want to loose it too quickly because if I do that I just end up putting back on just as quickly again.

So that's my new year plan :rolleyes:

Well I found rice flakes (last weeks thread) so now have my 4 day rotation on breakfast set up :)

Medium healthiness in the last week - keep giving in to snacks :mad: but also having a new pony at "home", just backed, means plenty of walking for me at the weekend (mum rides, I walk). We worked out that a circuit of the stubble field is around 2 miles (1/2 mile per side) :D And of course I "trot" for small stretches of it ;)

I'm also trying to organise a couple of workshops for the riding club - Alexander Technique (which I've done before) and Chi Gong (which I haven't) through a local person who does both :D

Might not be good for cardiac fitness, like Raingodz running, but is health-focus :)

Green and Blacks choccie is rather gorgeous - have you tried the ginger one ??

Put down the crisps and step AWAY from the coffee!!

Everyone gains at Christmas I think, so don't let that get you down.

I would definitely recommend running on your own if you think that you are having trouble fitting in with others? I run alone all the time. I take my Ipod for support but only ever wear it in one ear so I can hear for danger, and keep it low. Also I stay away from busy roads- otherwise it's just suicide!

Having a plan will help, and remember, as long as you reach your goal it doesn't matter how you got there, so ignore the odd off day.

Groom horses hard to get your own work out at the stables!

cvb said:
I'm also trying to organise a couple of workshops for the riding club - Alexander Technique (which I've done before) and Chi Gong (which I haven't) through a local person who does both
Should be good, I did both for about 2 years to help regain movement in my leg, regain balance and build initial strength before I could start running again.

I'd quite like to do both in terms of riding, it could be very interesting.
Might not be good for cardiac fitness, like Raingodz running, but is health-focus :)
I have to take it at an easy pace because of my leg, I also had to buy expensive Asics Gel running shoes too to minimise the impact :(
Green and Blacks choccie is rather gorgeous - have you tried the ginger one ??
Not yet, so far this week I have done the plain (75%) one and the butter scotch one, I think I have only 9 more to go :eek:

Arabesque said:
:eek: too late :eek:

Arabesque said:

Its when you look at the alternative I get disheartened - a packet of rice thingies and mug of green tea? Ugh.

Ive been pretty good though, this is week 2 of my healthy eating plan and I lost 3.5lbs last week :) Just by cutting out the 5 takeaways a week and eating some real food.

katieB said:
Its when you look at the alternative I get disheartened - a packet of rice thingies and mug of green tea? Ugh.
I agree, but you can get things that are like the rice cakes but are made of sweet corn, which actualy tast of somthing! As for green tea, I don't like that either, the only fruit tea I like is the blackberry and nettle one, the rest I just find very dissapointing.

Good to hear that cutting out the takeaways is working well for you katieb.

Up two pounds, down two pounds, up two, down two. UGH! Now I've just been resting on my heating pad every night because of my fall. (Finally went to ER just for peace of mind. Nothing broken - just contusions.) Will probably skip my lesson this weekend so as not to aggrevate the soreness. So no exercise for me this week.

I am back on the healthy eating thing too. Have lost 4 lbs since New Year and I HAVE to lose at least another stone and a half (21lbs) by May (hospital appointment). Had been actively avoiding this thread until now as I had whopped so much weight on over Christmas:eek:

But ughhh exercising in this weather is not fun! Cold and brisk I can enjoy, but cold, damp and miserable weather? No thanks!

raingodz said:
On the up side, I'm going running at lunchtime today with some people from work.
hmph, not sure what just happened, but I think I just told the one of the runners at work that I enjoyed the run this lunch time and I would really enjoy joining them every Monday and Wednesday lunchtime... It might be healthy, but it's also prime NR time too :eek:

Before any one gets the wrong idea, please read slow jog in place of run :eek: I'm not that fit at the moment :eek:

Er...

Three years ago, I weighed 260 pounds. I'm five foot ten. I lost down to 201, and stuck.

Silver, ever the clever one, has designed a diet. We're considering doing a book, as it does take my active participation...but...

I am down to 167. The first six weeks were...er.. expletive beginning with h deleted. But, I like cooking, and have found ways around most of my culinary bad habits (I've learned French and Italian gourmet cooking).

To me, weight loss required two things; one, the fact that I can't live a long time as heavy as I was and two; food that was edible (diet stuff isn't normally) and enough of it.

I learned that horses have a 'chewing' reflex. I've noted (at least for me) tha humans do, too. I *need* to have something to chew, even if I don't need the calories. I just have to pick what I chew. Sometimes, even sugar free gum has helped.

If anyone is interested, I could pass on some of the recipes we've developed...

I'm still going OK - down to 10 stone 8 which isn't too bad (from about 12 stone) but still a way to go. I have decided to start training for Race for Life. There is a training plan on the internet with races in May and June all around the country. It is a really good cause (cancer research) and the distance is only 5km. I am running the Winchester race a week before my wedding so am planning to be under 10 stone by then. When my scales finally tell me that I am 9 stone something I will be over the moon!

mary poppins - then there's hope for me yet ! Tho I'd love to know how you've done it. I can't give up alcohol - I don't drink. I don't take sugar in coffee etc. Most of the things that are suggested food wise are already there... but I do know I need to exercise more.

mama bear - someone (happiness ?) was posting a weekly recipe at one stage. You're welcome to contribute as I'm sure people will be interested, even if they are only lurking and not posting ;)

cvb said:
I can't give up alcohol - I don't drink. I don't take sugar in coffee etc. Most of the things that are suggested food wise are already there... but I do know I need to exercise more.
same here, I don't drink alcohol, I can't have milk or cream because of an intollerance and I try hard to keep the sugar down becaus late onset diabetes runs in my dad side of the family. On the other hand, I do quite like chips from "Northern Sole" a fine chip shop in Broomhill :eek: :eek: And there is that pile of Green and Blacks sat next to my PC at home :eek:

just joining this (i know it was running before xmas but i didnt even click on it - SAD that I have to be mentally ready just to READ about being healthy isnt it!!!) but am in the zone now so will come out of the closet!

Am back on Atkins with tomorrow being the end of week1. Its gone well, I actually like doing Atkins but it doesnt half take some motivation:eek:

I weigh more than my husband who is 6ft.:eek: :eek: which is wrong and I've put on loads of weight since getting married its shocking. I aim to lose 2.5 stone!

Sounds like everyone is working hard for the new year! I joined a Weight Watchers through work and have lost 3 lbs. and joined a yoga/pilates session twice a week. The instructor must have come from a military or jazzersize background as she rushs through the postures and yells for more reps! Oh well, I just do my own thing in the back of the gym...

I would like to get recipes on this thread, it keeps the change in eating style more interesting.

I keep thinking - you are doing this for your pony! My 4 yr old is going to start more ridden work but she only got to 13 hands and about 800 lbs, so I have to lose so as not to overburden her this spring and summer! :D

You are an evil man Raingodz!! I absolutely love Green and Blacks chocolate, well any good dark chocolate actually. However, due to chronic migraines I am unable to eat it:mad: :eek:

I am trying to be healthy and have lost 2lbs this week. I am fine during the week it is just weekends when we have friends over and pig out on nachos, dips and jelly sweets.

However I have bought myself some very nice Joules wellies so myself and OH are planning to go for walk every Sunday, which is quite easy for us as we live in Cumbria, so plenty of places to go.

Ditz - I also piled a stone on after getting married, must be contentment.

Alison xx

ALP said:
You are an evil man Raingodz!! I absolutely love Green and Blacks chocolate, well any good dark chocolate actually.
Hehehe, not often I get called that :rolleyes: - The only problem is that I didn't buy it, it was payment for fixing a laptop, I would much rather get free riding lessons rather than chocolate for fixing computer, but now I have it I suppose there is only one way to get rid of it :rolleyes:

laura jeanne said:
One of my problems is portions. I eat as much as my husband who is twice as big as I am.
I was told that the best way to reduce portion sizes is to buy smaller plates!

newrider.com