Healthy snacking ideas?

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
So far today I've been pretty good on my 'healthy lifestyle regime' (not calling it a diet, psychological implications!)

But wondering what other people have as a healthy snack when on the go or at work? I'm terrible for a mid-morning or afternoon vending machine treat, or indeed the odd hot chocolate, so wondering what I could use as a substitute?

Maybe carrot or pepper sticks? Or raisins & nuts? Any other suggestions peeps?

grapes for me, and they're a natural diuretic (sp?) so help me get rid of water retention at that time of the month!! Also I snack on dried fruit, sainsburys do a tropical fruit mix which is really yummy a bit higher in sugar but still not as bad as a choccy bar everyday (which of course I am now totally craving! :banghead:)

Also I'm partial to the odd hot chocolate now and again and I recommend Skinny cow hot chocolate tastes yummy and really choclatey but not as sinful!!

I'm guilty for -

Ww chocolate brownies
Pickled onions
Slim-a-soup
Skinny cow (was pleased to see there was still some left in the drawer from my last diet attempt)
Sea food selection
Jelly (sugar free is basically 0 calories!!)

You can't beat fruit, fruit and more fruit. There are so many different types it's really interesting to try new ones. I love berries as you can munch away on them all day and they are really sweet.

You can't beat fruit, fruit and more fruit. There are so many different types it's really interesting to try new ones. I love berries as you can munch away on them all day and they are really sweet.

I'm allergic to all berries. And seeds. And coconut strangely. Makes dieting harder I think as I'm limited with fruit. Sucks as I really like korma aswell :(

It depends for me on whether I'm actually hungry and want a snack for that or not. If I am hungry then fruit doesn't do it for me although it can distract me enough to get me through to the next meal - trouble is then I'm prone to overeating at meal times.

To ward off hunger I like to have a small amount of lean protein with every meal.

I like to have something like an egg or quorn based small salad with a homemade dressing of 0% total yoghurt mixed with whatever flavours I want.

Most of the time though I find I'm snacking through boredom and habit! In those cases raw veg, as opposed to fruit, does me very nicely. Although if I'm at home I love to make up a steem fry of veggies cooked in a little stock, a touch of chilli and then a dollop of 0% total thrown in for a sauce - yum yum! Could live on that as I just vary the flovours according to the mood.

Also theres a range of dressings by Skinny Cow, love em love em :biggrin:

One of my fav snacks is drained and rinsed red kidney beans, mixed with butter beans (also drained and rinsed) and broad beans - naughty I know, but I put salt on them, I just love the textures of different beans. I don't know how calorific they are, but it seems healthier than reaching for the twiglets.....

Oooooh that sounds LOVELY!!! How do you change the flavours - what do you add for flavouring? :unsure:

I'm terrible for chilli but you can add any fresh hebs and peppery leaves like watercress when itts in season. Don't forget your citrus friuts too or any friut really. Fruit goes lovely with salad. Tomato paste is good (think thousand island dressing), loads you can do :biggrin:

If perpping in advance then only bung the dressing on just before you eat - my top tip though is to keep it in a little pot and dip stuff in. You'd be amazed at how little to eat this way compared with dressing the whole lot.

i tend to eat snack a jacks ( the large ones are normally 40 cals per rice cake), dried fruit (not keen on fresh but will eat dried for some reason).. so apple, pineapple, mango etc
hmm other snacks.. i snack on weight watchers crisps, boots shapers crisps & bars ( i love the blueberry bar & strawberry bar :dance:) and all the shapers stuff is under 100 cals per item . I am also another one who as a hot chocolate if i have choc cravings (options are the ones i like best, they are thick & chocolately plus also make me feel "full" ) and like dannii said sugar free jelly (seem to eat this more in summertime though )

I have an insatiable sweet tooth so frozen milky ways and frozen milky way stars are a real treat. I also love those little orange chewy chocolate bars from tescos - the reduced fat ones.
I will be resurrecting my carrots and dip at work thing. I mix one tablespoon Mayo with a small tub of Greek yoghurt and knaw away. Annoys everyone and I always get the hiccups eating carrots.
Dannii I'm not allergic but I only like apples bananas oh and peaches but only if they are tinned (in fruit juice not syrup of course). I'm a pretty plain eater, so I feel your pain!!
Meringue nests are good for sweetness out of nothing.
Frozen grapes
Pink n whites - gotta love them!!
Mmm, Half of this stuff isnt vey healthy, more like ways to get the sweet stuff I crave so much!!

Oh yeah. the other thing I do is to make my own lollies and I also like munching on plain ice too.

I've already mentioned the total 0% yoghurt a lot but I mix that with fruit and add a sweetener and that's lush. I also have the cambridge diet water flavour and mix the smallest touch of that in yoghurt which is yum.

I have an insatiable sweet tooth so frozen milky ways and frozen milky way stars are a real treat. I also love those little orange chewy chocolate bars from tescos - the reduced fat ones.
I will be resurrecting my carrots and dip at work thing. I mix one tablespoon Mayo with a small tub of Greek yoghurt and knaw away. Annoys everyone and I always get the hiccups eating carrots.
Dannii I'm not allergic but I only like apples bananas oh and peaches but only if they are tinned (in fruit juice not syrup of course). I'm a pretty plain eater, so I feel your pain!!
Meringue nests are good for sweetness out of nothing.
Frozen grapes
Pink n whites - gotta love them!!
Mmm, Half of this stuff isnt vey healthy, more like ways to get the sweet stuff I crave so much!!

oooh completely forgot about pink n whites. They are yummy !!:smile:

A nice low calorie savoury thing is Marigold Swiss boullion. You just add water. I buy this as a stock to make soup and discovered when my kids were poorly that it makes a lovely hot drink, although i also added noodles to theirs just to get some calories into them. It really is delicious. Like a posh more refreshing version of Bovril!

Bananas are also great frozen. Infact if you mash it then freeze for an hour then mash again and do this a few times it tastes creamy, like ice cream.
I also love Bananas baked. You can do them in the oven untul black or wrap in foil and pop in the fire. They are really yum with a dollop of creme fraich and a passion fruit over the top or you could use 0% yog instead of c/f.

be careful with dried fruit and with nuts as although they are healthy they aren't slimming (if that is what you are aiming for) although probably more slimming than chocolate:biggrin:

A nice low calorie savoury thing is Marigold Swiss boullion. You just add water. I buy this as a stock to make soup and discovered when my kids were poorly that it makes a lovely hot drink, although i also added noodles to theirs just to get some calories into them. It really is delicious. Like a posh more refreshing version of Bovril!

That's what I keep in the house and use to make up my steam fry dishes. That was another thing I got into thanks to cambridge diet. However, I will only buy the reduced salt version as the normal version is way to salty. :smile:

Grapes, raisains, cranberries, snack-a-jacks, cup a soup, I looove pepper and celery sticks dipped in sweet chilli philli, philli on toast or snak a jacks.
SOooo much more lol

One of my fav snacks is drained and rinsed red kidney beans, mixed with butter beans (also drained and rinsed) and broad beans - naughty I know, but I put salt on them, I just love the textures of different beans. I don't know how calorific they are, but it seems healthier than reaching for the twiglets.....

Blimey that would make me lose weight that would be my worst nightmare (forced to eat butterbeans as a kid so mental block). I cant suggest anything as I'm obviously getting it wrong somewhere.:wink::sluggish:

Got to be snack a jacks and different flavoured rice cakes for me!
Also Go-ahead Yoghurt Breaks - love em :biggrin:

Try grating carrot, put some sesame seeds in a dry pan and toast them for a few mins, add to carrot, season (add a bit of olive oil/sesame oil if desired).

Absolutely delish!!!!!!!!

newrider.com