Healing vibes needed ( Photos)

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Today is my day off,my one day for a lie in. I get a phone call at 5 to 8 this morning from another livery telling me that sox has cut his face and has blood all down his front legs. Shoot out of bed put on anything and head straight to yard to find sox there with cuts to his head, dried blood all down his face book coming out of his nose and blood on his legs!

Bring him in and give him some hay while I patch him up. Well start to. In regards to the nosebleed I didn't really know what to do some contacted a fellow NR and rang my vet who advised coming out at he may have fractured his skull. I thought not as he was his normal happy self eating away. This was at 20 past 8 this morning.
After a while I got his nose to stop a friend thought it was cute to a degree that I had put his fleece on him I didn't think he would be didn't want him going into shock. Thought he had cut the inside of his nose so had a look and couldn't see anything. I stopped the bleeding from his nose and thought if it didn't start again would cancel the vet as it was fine in himself and another livery said there wouldn't be alot they could do if he had a cut that didn't require stitches.

Luckly I did get the vet down. Sox has managed to fracture his frontal bone or our forehead and the bleeding is it draining high inside.

Bute and antibiotics for a week. X Rays to be done in the near future if he gets any worse to ring them back up. I have only just got in from the yard now from been there since 8 this morning!

Oh poor Sox! Sending him gentle healing vibes from my girls and me. Oh dear. What a good job you got the vet out - what was that livery thinking???:eek: When in doubt get them out! Crikey I hope its not as bad as it sounds. Poor lad he'll have a headache too I shouldn't wonder.

Oh blimey Lauren, poor Sox. Lots of gentle healing vibes coming your way for Sox and a massive virtual hug for you x

Hope he's better soon, what a nasty injury! Bet you are really glad you did get the vet out!

How do they know it's fractured if not been xrayed yet?
Or is that the results of the xray and it can be redone to check healing?
I am guessing it's box rest as fractures take up to four months to heal.

Has he been kicked. Poor Sox.

Thank you all.
My vet said basically. You can press in side of his head and he had definitely fractured it. He said he would x ray to see where the fractured bone was but of he is happy and comfortable then we don't have too. I asked if it was box rest and my vet said nope and that he can go out. We aren't sure how it happened. Either a kick to the head or he has smacked it on a branch.

He has been off work pretty much all summer anyhow. I thought it would be a while but my vet said I could work him within 3 weeks as it's no were near any tack sits. It will take around 2 months to heal. And that rather then x rays if he isn't comfortable then to CT scan his head.

He vet said he would expect the bleeding to stop by this morning or long if he is itching it.

It still appears to be bleeding a little now . Vet said if it swells more then to call him but so far it hasn't.

newrider.com