Healing vibes needed... Nelson has canker!

Sexy Sietske

Aug 18, 2006
Derbyshire/nottinghamshire
After my farrier diagnosing an abscess and treating it for a whole week for a foul smell to occur a few days later and a change in Nelsons behaviour I had the vet out and confirmed my suspisions.

He is going to vets to have xrays and infected area removed, then stopping in for a few days to start drying it out. He is then being sent home with a strict routine and 4 weeks MINIMUM! 'box rest' ie no wet/muddy conditions *sigh* Poor horse has already been in for 3weeks and is a bit fed up!

The vet was very impressed that I had pretty much already diagnosed him myself as it is a very rare condition... so in that sense im rather proud with myself :D But this has to be coming up for £1200 of vet treatment in 12months just for Nelson!! :mad: doesnt he know the country is in recession and we are all, including myself! feeling the pressure!

Its kinda like thrush... only affects the inner tissues as well, very old disease that is commonly found in the hind feet of draught horses that stand in unhygienic condition where nelson is a appy x spoilt brat and its in his front foot :p

My horse suffered from this in 2000. He still has problems, especially this time of year, but with good management and corrective shoeing, most of the year i do get to ride him and he does get to go out!! There is so much available on the market, and it was,nt til i came on here, i found out theres many more products available online!!
At the moment, he hasnt got canker, but he is very sore due to sheared heels...he only developed canker after the vet cut the frog area away, and he was stabled and bandaged, for 3 months. when the bandages came off, after a period of time, he developed canker and his frogs were like cabbage leaves! He was barefoot, so i found a new farrier and had bar shoes all round, kept a good cleaning regime, and used stockholm tar. (but i think theres better products around now). He soon came right, but now i have the heel problem, and he has fungal infection. My vets bill was some £3000!
I wish you luck with your horse, im sure he will come right, you just need to keep a strict regime.:)

Thankfully the canker is not conformation related! He just has an injury and infection after abscess that has resulted in canker. But I poulticed it up (vets instructions) last night for him going in today and the smell has disappeared :eek:

Vet seems hopeful as it has been caught very early that he will make a full recovery... just waiting to hear back from them now.

newrider.com