Headshaking arab & bit advice please

I don't own an arab but had a friedn with the same problem, who switched to bitless and never looked back. That could be a good idea for you - your horse definitely doesn't sound very comfy in her mouth. That said, I know a couple of others who simply used trial and error with bitting, and their horses were more than happy (I personally think Myler bits are scared :p).

x

Hi - my horse is half Arab and I have her in a loose ring, french link snaffle. She is very foamy at the mouth also but can get strong at times. But she is generally very happy in this bit :) sorry, not any help really :p

Add: obviously headshaking is a sign of discomfort with her bit, but I don't think it necessarily means this: mine shakes her head a bit too when she's excited.

Last edited:
My girlie is purebred and is also in a loose ring french link. She doesn't headshake much, but if she's feeling particularly stressed on a ride then she will (I differentiate between her being excited and her being upset or stressed, even though she ends up jogging in both situations). I had her out on friday and we had an especially stressful ride (something to do with flying glass bottles. Go figure :rolleyes:) and the poor old girl almost went down on the road because of the idiot behind the flying bottles scaring her silly. She basically jumped sideways violently but then lost her footing, and when I got off to check if she was okay her right hind leg was all scraped :(. Anyway, she was very agitated for the rest of the ride and couldn't wait to be back, so we got a little head shaking on the way back. She doesn't do it very much though.

Mine used to headshake a lot and it turned out to be a combo of bit and excitment/nervousness.

I have since found that she doesn't like jointed bits.

Kira my purebred headshakes at times in a bitless bridle and headcollar normally her excitement or frustration if I am telling her to do something, I have just started mouthing her in a magic bt (small mouthpiece with a port)

Have you considered that it might be true headshaking.. pollen allergy.. what symptoms does your pony have... if you search headshaking on here you will find oodles of good advice.. My horse is a true headshaker and it has nothing to do with the bit.. he has an allergy and has to have steroids between feb and sept... good luck, if you want further info on headshaking and feel it is not bit related feel free to mail me..

Our Arab was spanish and quite sturdy for an arab. My mum had him shoeless, treeless and bitless but he still did it.....

I think he was just real clever and used to get frustrated with us...

Mum had him in a miler bit for roads and beach.... lol!

Must just be an Arab thing!

X

Very briefly... My horse is bedded on straw, no problems...

Occasional snatching of reins, more like a jerking movement than shaking...

Trying to hit nose area with leg, itching nose on leg.. stumbling....

Lack of concentration...

Most horses only have symptoms when being riden and not at grass...

Do talk to your vet about your horses symptoms and discuss with your vet what they might mean.. good luck.. hope it isn't headshaking due to an allergy...

Must just be an Arab thing!
X

I think it must. Even in half breds I have ridden it seemed to happen often. He would most often do it when the riens were too short for his taste. He wanted a much more free rein than I was giving him and being a crodd with a quarter horse he was very calm so no really worries about him doing anything silly:D. A lot of people (including me) get a bit overexcited with shortening the riens on horses that like Arabs, hold thier heads high and it can make them a bit uncomfotable.

newrider.com