Head turning - why?

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I have a theory on this but I'd love to hear any ideas people have.

Jim does kisses - full on, on the lips kisses that he's determined people will return. It sometimes takes a bit of explaining to people that ears back (but not pinned back), head stretched out & pointy nose in face is actually a friendly move & he won't go away until kissed! Now for everyone else he keeps his head straight but stretched out & often one ear forward & one flipped slightly back but for me he very often tilts his head completely sidewards, flips both ears further back & opens his mouth slightly. This becmes more pronounced if I'm doing something so the kiss isn't instant & he'll also head tilt & flip ears back if I'm in sight but out of reach & he wants attention. He never grabs, threatens or looks aggresive when doing this. Ideas? He obviously thinks twisting his head sidewards is very attractive :rolleyes:

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Yep, tongues if he gets the chance :eek: :D. It pays to be careful with his feed, some things are horrid when you get them second-hand :eek:.

littlepony

Jan 19, 2009
Oh wow - another ponio who kisses on command. My mare will kiss if you say 'pony kiss' a few times !! If shes not really wanting to you get a softish head butt instead -but the thought was there !!!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Skippys Mum if you think that's wrong you'd need a lie down in a dark room if I told you one of his other favourites!

littlepony it would probably be more accurate to say humans kiss Jim on command than the other way round :eek:

Jun 28, 2006
Lovely Leicester
Hehe, a pony I used to know would just shove his nose in your face and hold it there for ages if he felt like it and wouldn't leave you alone unless you kissed him:p It's so adorable isn't it! And yeah.. tongues have been too close for comfort on occasion!

Shiny Boy

Jan 17, 2009
Westcountry
My old boy will very sweetly kiss your cheek for a carrot...mint....crisps....anything!!

My youngster has learned to do it too now, but afterwards he turns away, then brings his head back around - almost like he is embarassed for doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

cinammontoast

Mar 8, 2007
Knee deep in muck
My friend's youngster just rests his nose on your face-loves cuddles and kisses. Beau demands cuddles, too and has finally accepted that I need to frequently kiss his face! He does it to other horses in the field, now, nose to nose-very sweet!

All of them have their different little funny mannerisms-all cute, some more painful than others!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Why does my horse put his head down when I canter him.What do I do with my outside leg when turning Cafe 2
caroline/halle head turning to the outside Training of the Horse and Rider 1
Gurnosstud Turning head to one side Other Disciplines 4
A Head throwing exracer Training of the Horse and Rider 1
A Head flicking Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
Mary Poppins How to keep his head collar on?? Cafe 12
Lissie Hunting head cam footage Cafe 13
~elizabeth~ Problem catching after my pony slipped his head collar Horse Care 29
AmandaLouise How to stop my 10 yr old daughters pony from putting his head between his legs & bolting off?? Training of the Horse and Rider 12
Orenoko All in my head Confidence Club 8
Star the Fell What’s your first thought if your horse doesn’t pop his head over the door when you arrive? Cafe 16
L Head or heart? Updated! Cafe 33
Jessey Head torches Cafe 7
R head shaking Confidence Club 12
Eloushka Help!! My keeps putting his head down after jumps Confidence Club 2
Kite_Rider Head Collar - free to good home Tack & Saddlery 0
G Head shaking and sweet itch!! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
B Head tossing Training of the Horse and Rider 14
Native Lover R.I.P old girl....FAYE the head of our herd. Rainbow Bridge 11
catefrances Which Head/Hat Camera Tack & Saddlery 21
stigofthedump Pony rolls with head in feed bucket Metabolic 10
Jane&Ziggy Natural head carriage in excited horses Cafe 3
Wally Rush of blood to the head, now paying the price! Cafe 5
Wally Rush of blood to the head Cafe 10
sophie33 rein contact and head carriage tips Training of the Horse and Rider 6
chunky monkey Head carriage Training of the Horse and Rider 5
squidsin Grackle bridle for pony with inbetween sized head! Tack & Saddlery 2
Jayne Knob head drivers Cafe 9
Flipo's Mum You're on your horse, you have an itchy head. What do you do? Cafe 17
Kirsty McDonald Cannot get my head around canter leg aids Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Anna mortimer head down First Timers 3
N Nervousness/all in my head...long essay sorry! Confidence Club 25
Gimp My Cat is off its head *pic* Cafe 6
nat17 Head carriage Cafe 15
Trewsers Where has the bang head icon gone?! Cafe 9
Trewsers Where has the bang head icon gone?! Cafe 0
N Does Your Horse Do This Head Swirl? Training of the Horse and Rider 22
squidsin Buying a new horse - heart or head? Cafe 35
popularfurball Head height in field shelters/stables Horse Care 3
N Head Carriage Question? Breeds, Colouring and Genetics 13
OwnedbyChanter Where do you put the head collar on Cafe 25
Rubic Your favourite Horsey Head/Bodyshot? Cafe 8
juliecwuk Head torch! Tack & Saddlery 6
Dannii5691 Banging head against the wall Cafe 17
N My head itches, well thats a cob for you! Cafe 10
R Tips on head tossing in a muzzle. Horse Care 0
OwnedbyChanter So called 'professionals' are doing my head in Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 11
nat17 Hat Head..... Cafe 8
mystiquemalaika Songs stuck in head! Cafe 7
Dark Storm Do you think my head is trying to tell me something? Cafe 10